Volunteer Centre Bradford is an organisation that believes in the power of volunteering and the immense rewards it can bring to individuals from all backgrounds, the organisations they support and the broader local community. It is a Community Beacon for its outstanding work and is one of only two Volunteer Centres in England with this status (awarded by the national body, NCVO). The Bradford Volunteer Centre has championed volunteering in the Bradford District for over 18 years and is now seeking a full-time CEO to take the organisation through its next period of growth.
The CEO will be primarily responsible for promoting the value of volunteering locally, developing relationships and alliances to deliver effective and innovative services and projects, securing future funding and driving forward the organisation’s strategy. This role is an exciting opportunity for an experienced voluntary sector professional with excellent communication and networking skills, strategic development and implementation experience and a track record around fund raising development to really make a difference. The post holder will also be the Voluntary Sector lead on the Bradford District’s Cross-Sector “People Can Make A Difference” volunteering campaign, now in its third year, which has been adopted by all the major stakeholders in the District and is recognised in Bradford Council’s District plans.
Main Purpose of Job
To provide leadership, fund development, networking and influencing skills to ensure that the charity is the leading volunteering resource for individuals and organisations in Bradford and Shipley. To drive forward the achievement of Bradford Volunteer Centre’s mission with a focus on outcomes, sustainability, effective use of technology, collaborations and programme innovation.
1. Community and Public Relations
• Advocate for the organisation and champion volunteering and the local voluntary sector
• Further develop strong senior relationships with local stakeholders (individual beneficiaries, local authority, funders, community organisations and partners).
• Maintain and establish strategic partnerships and alliances as appropriate, as the Voluntary Sector lead on the Bradford District’s Cross-Sector People Can Make A Difference volunteering campaign.
• Developing and leading on communications strategy including website in partnership with the local authority and other partners through the “People Can Make A Difference” volunteering campaign.
• Chair the Volunteer Managers Forum in partnership with the Bradford University Student Union.
• Support the annual Community Star Awards for volunteering lead by the Mayor of Bradford.
2. Strategic Development
• Work with the Board of Trustees and staff to develop and implement identified priorities to deliver effectiveness and growth for the organisation.
• Foster internal and external commitment to the vision and mission and instil the values of the organisation in all its initiatives.
• Lead the “People Can Make A Difference” Volunteering Kite mark development work in the District.
• Undertake the Volunteer Centre Quality Accreditation in 2020.
3. Finances and Fund Development
• Maintain responsibility for overall financial health of the organisation.
• Develop and execute on an income generation strategy to ensure sustainable services in the coming years.
• Meet or exceed revenue targets to drive forward organisation strategies and future development.
• Responsible for setting and implementing overall organisation budget.
• Ensure effective financial management and that appropriate regulations and controls are in place in conjunction with the Treasurer and Accountant.
• Complete annual accounts for the Charity Commission with the accountant.
• Undertake project monitoring and establish outcome measurement.
4. Human Resources
• Maintain responsibility for all human resources of the organisation according to authorised policies and procedures in compliance with legal requirements.
• Ensure an organisation structure that is effective and an environment that attracts, retains and motivates good quality staff and volunteers.
• Advise the Board of Trustees to discharge their duties effectively, including developing agenda and preparing information and/or reports for Board meetings, making recommendations, maintaining records of meetings and decisions, undertaking strategic planning, assisting in Trustee recruitment, facilitating risk management.
• Ensure legal, statutory and regulatory compliance and appropriate accreditation.
The CEO may also undertake other duties appropriate to the post, as requested by the Board of Trustees, that are consistent with the above.