Finance and Contracts Manager
Finance and Contracts Manager
Location: East Oxford
Hours: Part time 21 hours a week (7 hours x 3 days a week)
Salary: Pro rata £37,000 per annum for 35 hours a week
Purpose of post
To ensure appropriate financial management and planning to enable the organisation to run efficiently and sustainably, continuously improve its services and maintain its reputation; in accordance with its constitution, good accountancy practice and in compliance with the legal requirements upon charities. The post-holder will have additional responsibilities for maintaining and developing contracts and procedures, for ensuring the organisation has appropriate IT support, and managing offices and equipment. Asylum Welcome expects to be relocating offices within East Oxford within the next 3 years and the Finance and Contracts Manager would have a substantial role in the success of that relocation.
Part-time Office Manager (permanent)
Planning and reporting
- Develop budgets, forecasts and financial plans in collaboration with the Chief Executive. Assess the financial implications of external events and internal changes. Monitor financial risks and advise on the financial impact of strategic decisions.
- Prepare regular management accounts (monthly and quarterly) showing income and expenditure against budget, monitor reserves and monitor compliance with restrictions on the use of funds.
- Regularly attend the Finance Sub-Committee and present and explain financial documents to staff and trustees.
- Prepare end of year accounts and contribute to the (legally required) Annual Report. Arrange for the examination or audit of the end of year accounts in accordance with legal requirements. In collaboration with the Company Secretary, ensure that timely and accurate documents are submitted to the Charity Commission and Companies House.
- With the Director, ensure that the organisation is GDPR compliant.
- Maintain a productive professional relationship with the Treasurer and the External Auditor.
- Ensure that the organisation has and follows written policies on financial procedures and controls to ensure efficient use of resources and integrity of accounting records.
- Ensure that financial procedures are reviewed, updated and improved as appropriate, in line with the changing needs of the organisation.
- Explain financial procedures to staff, arrange training for colleagues as required and ensure that good practice is embedded in the organisation.
Accountancy and finance management
- Manage finance tasks undertaken by the Office Manager, notably (but not limited to) petty cash handling.
- Ensure that recording of income and expenditure, bank reconciliation, payment of invoices and reclamation of GiftAid are administered accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ensure that effective financial records are maintained in the accounting system. Ensure all electronic financial information is backed-up and kept secure. Maintain well-organised paper records.
- Manage the relationship with our banks and be a bank signatory, able to sign cheques and authorise salaries and other online payments in accordance with the Trustees’ policy on authorisation. Manage cashflow, using online banking facilities to move funds between accounts as required.
Payroll and pensions
- Ensure that staff payroll and HMRC payments are properly delivered.
- Oversee administration of staff pensions, dealing with pension-providers and maintaining records.
Generating income and monitoring donations
- Provide expert support to fundraisers by creating budgets and detailed financial information as required for funding applications and for reports to trusts and foundations.
- As opportunities arise, tender for statutory contracts. Comply with the accounting and reporting requirements of statutory contracts.
- Ensure that accurate financial information about donations and donors is available from electronic (database) records maintained by fundraisers.
- Contribute to fundraising from major donors and from businesses; for example identifying prospective donors and developing and maintaining relationships with them.
Managing contracts and facilities
- Establish and manage contracts with external service-providers in areas such as IT, telecommunications and maintenance, and respond to urgent needs for such external services, in order to enable the charity to deliver services to refugees.
- Manage the Office Manager, whose responsibilities include for example health and safety, data administration and maintenance of equipment.
- Contribute to all aspects of the planning and execution of Asylum Welcome’s relocation to larger premises within 3 years.
- Participate in ad hoc tasks compatible with the role in order to ensure the smooth running of the office.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY
- Ability to manage all aspects of the financial affairs of a growing charity.
- Knowledge of charity accounting and reporting requirements e.g. Charities SORP 2015 (FRS 102).
- Ability to analyse, synthesise and interpret complex information and assess risks.
- Ability to produce accurate accounts, budgets, forecasts, reports and recommendations for different audiences, to deadlines.
- Proficiency in accounting systems and spreadsheets, familiarity with databases.
- Track record of improving financial systems and procedures and working with others to ensure their effective implementation.
- Ability to manage staff.
- Ability to provide financial outputs to support fundraising and donor management.
- Ability to oversee management of IT services.
- Aptitude for managing offices and equipment.
- Honesty, integrity and professionalism.
- Numerical accuracy with attention to detail.
- Organised, methodical and precise.
- Resourceful, enjoys responsibility, committed to quality, sound judgement.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, voluntary organisation, and commitment to equal opportunities.
- Personal credibility and communication skills sufficient to develop strong professional relationships, develop the organisation’s reputation and manage change.
- Commitment to the values and aims of Asylum Welcome.
- Ability to work supportively in a busy staff team and to work supportively and effectively with volunteers.
Apply for Finance and Contracts Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly