5 days left
- Contract Type
The knowledge and talent to tackle some of the most pressing health issues of our times lie within the Fellowship of the Academy of Medical Sciences - over 1000 of the UK’s best medical researchers working across science, medicine, engineering and healthcare.
The UK’s ageing population, rising incidence of diabetes and obesity, the burden of mental ill health, emerging infections, and increasing healthcare costs are some of the greatest challenges facing society.
The goal of the Academy is to ensure that research is used as rapidly and effectively as possible to improve health. To meet the increasing demand for our expertise, we are fundraising to facilitate a step change in our activities to:
- Translate new science into health and wealth benefits.
- Support the next generation of medical researchers.
We seek to advance UK and global biomedical and health research through five strategic challenges (as set out in our 2017-22 strategy):
- To harness our expertise and convening power to tackle the biggest scientific and health challenges and opportunities facing our society.
- To lead innovation in the development of research talent through funding and careers support.
- To achieve influence and impact beyond the UK to improve health and well-being.
- To become the exemplar of a ‘modern scientific academy’ – diverse, trusted, dynamic, relevant and accessible.
- To enhance the Academy’s delivery capability, making sure we have the Fellows, staff, partners, resources and influence to make an even greater contribution to the UK and beyond.
The Academy's growth and impact since it was set up as a sister organisation to the Royal Society in 1998 have been impressive, but there is still much to be done.
We are now seeking a Fundraising Administrator to support the Fundraising Manager, and you will be joining a very positive team culture and working environment. The position is based in friendly, light offices (with lunch provided!) at the Academy in Portland Place, near Oxford Circus. Whilst this is primarily a full time position, part time may also be considered.
Key tasks will include:
- Managing the Academy’s Helix Group of individual donors.
- Supporting the administration of the Academy’s FORUM of corporate supporters.
- Managing record keeping for all fundraising-related data, including the CRM database ThankQ.
- Assisting colleagues in the Corporate Affairs Directorate with event organisation and administration, and colleagues in the Communications Team with the development and delivery of a programme of print and online corporate communications (approximately 1 day per week).
- Day-to-day management of the Helix Group, a group of 120 individual donors (largely Fellows) who give £250 or more each year to the Academy’s work. This includes: soliciting new members; managing the administration of the campaign in the office; producing an annual newsletter and organising an annual event to thank supporters.
- Ensure all donors are acknowledged in a manner appropriate to their level of support and that a process is in place to keep the donor engaged with the work of the Academy subsequent to their donation.
- Adhere to reporting requirements as requested by donors and proactively report to other supporters.
- Support the Academy’s legacy appeal to Fellows.
Supporting the Academy's FORUM
Work with a dedicated team of colleagues to develop the Academy’s FORUM, which brings in annual support from companies and other organisations in the medical research arena.
- Attend meetings of the cross departmental FORUM Membership Team.
- Administer the circulation of the FORUM newsletter three times a year.
- Aid with the preparation of documents, including letters and reports, for potential and existing FORUM supporters.
- Manage the record keeping of all FORUM supporter business.
Attract new funding
Aid colleagues with the development of relationships and solicitation of gifts from donors, which may include individuals, companies, trusts and foundations.
- Identify and research potential new prospects including charitable trusts, companies and individuals. Ensure existing relationships between AMS contacts and donor organisations are capitalised upon.
- Support colleagues in the solicitation process, which will take into account donor’s specific interests. Tasks might include organising meetings, preparing briefing documents, proposals for support and applications.
- Ensure the website provides the best possible information to support the Academy’s fundraising. This will involve maintaining and updating the fundraising section of the Academy’s website, producing regular news items to appear online and creating and managing relevant events pages.
- Work with colleagues to nurture existing donors to develop long term support.
- Manage the delivery of the Academy’s fundraising events, including annual Helix Group event to thank members.
- As required, organise bespoke fundraising events aimed to attract new support (eg. VIP dinners).
- Provide administration for Academy events organised by, or for, donors for Academy beneficiaries. (In 2016 this involved liaison with contracted external conference organisers to deliver a 2 day conference in Cyprus for Daniel Turnberg Travel Fellowship Scheme alumni.)
- As necessary assist in the delivery of the Academy's annual corporate events programme ensuring events maximise fundraising opportunities. Key events include the New Fellows Admissions Day, the Annual General Meeting and Dinner, as well as an ongoing programme of scientific lectures, discussion dinners and regional Fellows’ events.
- Develop and maintain the data held on the Academy’s CRM database (ThankQ) to ensure donor, potential donor, FORUM member and event information is accurately and securely held and Data Protection Act requirements met.
- Champion the use of the database across Academy departments and assist colleagues in entering data of relevance to developing relationships with individuals and organisations.
- Ensure all approaches to potential donors are recorded. Save fundraising documents and communications in an appropriate way on the Academy server to ensure comprehensive record keeping of Academy fundraising activities.
- Work with the Communications Team to ensure a proactive communications plan is in place to support the fundraising and corporate affairs programme.
- Assist in the production and development of print and online communications about the Academy and its work; liaising with external suppliers of design and print as appropriate.
- Monitor and support the development of Academy branding in printed material, ensuring all communications present key corporate and fundraising messages.
- Champion the Academy brand internally and externally to ensure printed materials are consistent in style and support agreed brand values.
- Support the preparation of reports for Council, Officers and other Academy meetings as required.
- Actively participate in the activities of the Corporate Affairs Directorate, providing support and assistance to colleagues for AMS projects and events as required.
- Undertake all other ad hoc duties that can be reasonably expected of this post.
Line management and support
The fundraising and communications functions of the Academy sit within the Corporate Affairs Directorate, which is headed by the Executive Director. This post is managed by the Fundraising Manager who assists in identifying priorities and activities to be carried out on a day to day basis. The Fundraising Manager currently works part time. The corporate events and communications aspect of this role reports into, and is guided by, the Director of Communications.
Key skills and experience
- Experience in a fundraising position is highly desirable
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to plan and deliver projects to agreed timelines
The post is located at 41 Portland Place, London W1B IQH
For further information please do not hesitate to contact Charlotte Wilmot, Director, Eardley Wilmot, email@example.com. To apply, please send Charlotte a copy of your CV and covering letter explaining how your experience is a good fit for this position.
The deadline for this position is rolling, and we are assessing applicants as we receive your details. We look forward to receiving your application.
Apply for Fundraising Administrator
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly