Public Affairs Manager - Independent Age - London
The Public Affairs Manager will be responsible for the development and delivery of Independent Age’s public affairs strategy, with the objective to ensure that improving the lives of older people is high on the political agenda for decision-makers in government, parliament, and more widely. The post holder will also have a leading role in the development and delivery of wider integrated influencing campaigns aimed at creating positive change for older people and their families.
Position in organisation
- The Public Affairs Manager will report to the Head of influencing.
- Member of the Influencing Management Team
- Liaise with colleagues all levels within the organisation
- Line manages the Public Affairs Officer.
The main duties are as follows:
- Develop and oversee the delivery of Independent Age’s public affairs strategy, in line with the organisational strategy, and be responsible for KPIs relating to its success
- Manage the Public Affairs team to deliver its strategy, and work with other teams to ensure the strategy has national and local components
- Ensure that older people are at the heart of all of our engagement
- Manage relationships with stakeholders inside and outside parliament
- Actively identify opportunities to put issues affecting older people on the political and public policy agenda by devising tactics to approach key opinion formers.
- Oversee the organisation’s activity at the annual political party conferences
- Internally liaise at all levels throughout the organisation, being an ambassador for our public affairs work to deliver change for older people, and supporting senior colleagues to engage with decision makers
- Provide advice for staff and volunteers across the organisation on how to engage and influence MPs at local and national level
- Represent the organization externally, building relationships with key stakeholders
- Speak publicly on occasion on the organisation’s behalf, for example at conferences and events
- Be responsible and accountable for the Public Affairs Team and budget
- Engage in the annual business planning process as part of the Influencing Management Team
- Deputise for the Head of Influencing as required
- Ensure progress reporting of our political influenced campaigns to senior leadership and the board where required
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and so the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Independent Age is committed to equality of opportunity and of eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to adhere to the principles set out in its Equal Opportunities Policy and all other relevant guidance/practice frameworks.