Head of Influencing - Social Care & Welfare - London
This is a new position within the Policy and Influencing Directorate. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to build an expanding ambitious influencing team, working within the division and across the organization to produce and deliver high profile and innovative campaigns and public affairs.
The post holder will play a strategic leadership role in the development and delivery of the organisation’s influencing programme. They will provide the strategic direction to deliver a dynamic campaigns and public affairs function that is the envy of the voluntary sector, delivering powerful influencing activities to improve the lives of older people.
A key aspect of this role is to build relationships and enhance engagement with older people, embedding their views and contributions to our influencing and persuasion of key influencers and decision-makers.
Position in organisation
- The Head of Influencing will report to the Director of Policy and influencing.
- Member of the Policy and Influencing Management Team
- Liaise with colleagues all levels within the organisation
- Line manages the Campaigns Manager and Public Affairs Manager.
The main duties are as follows:
- Lead the strategic development, engagement and delivery of the organisation’s campaigns and public affairs programme.
- Responsible for the strategic direction and delivery of influencing campaigns and public affairs activities.
- To develop and lead an innovative model of campaigning to influencing that is the envy of the voluntary sector, utilising our policy evidence and research.
- Ensure that our campaigns and public affairs activities are based on evidence and informed by best practice and the views of older people.
- Deputise for the Director of Policy and Influencing.
- To bring together and mobilise staff, volunteers, bodies and organisations, to campaign and take action to deliver positive change for older people.
- Work collaboratively across the organization at a senior level to develop integrated influencing campaigns.
- Advise the Director of Policy and Influencing on campaigning opportunities and initiatives.
- Oversee the management of our public affairs programme and delivery, ensuring a high profile in parliament and government.
- Work closely with the Head of Policy to advise and build relationships with key decision-makers in central and local government, health and social care; regulatory bodies, as well as with other key sectors relevant to improving the lives of older people.
- Build, lead and establish relationships with politicians and influence government and Whitehall.
- Build highly proactive and reactive processes and protocols with the Media team to ensure the voice of the organisation is effectively communicated through the various media channels.
- Act as a spokesperson and representative for the organisation in the media, at conferences and seminars and externally with decision-makers.
- Ensure that the voice of older people is fully embedded campaigns and public affairs.
- Responsible for the management of the Influencing team budget
- Lead active strategic collaboration with senior managers in services and engagement divisions.
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and so the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Independent Age is committed to equality of opportunity and of eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to adhere to the principles set out in its Equal Opportunities Policy and all other relevant guidance/practice frameworks.