Corporate Partnerships Officer
Job Description and Person Specification
Corporate Partnerships Officer
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Responsible for: n/a
Hours of work: 4 days per week (min 3 in the office)
Place of work: Office (National Bowel Research Centre) in Whitechapel)/home
Salary: £28,000 pro rata
Contract: Initial 12 months renewable
Bowel & Cancer Research is a growing charity based in Whitechapel, London at the National Centre for Bowel Research and Surgical Innovation, towards the development and equipping of which it raised over £2.5m. It funds medical research across the UK into bowel cancer and other bowel diseases, runs relevant awareness campaigns and a Patient and Public Involvement in Research programme.
A small and dynamic team has increased its income generation and profile over recent years and the charity is now seeking a highly organised, self-motivated, persuasive fundraising professional to take forward a programme of proactive work with companies.
The purpose of the role
This is a new role, the aim of which is to deliver positive relationships with corporate partners across a range of activities, including commercial (CRM and sponsorship), philanthropic (corporate trusts and foundations, Charity of the Year), employee (fundraising and GAYE) and awareness raising.
This role will suit a persuasive, patient and tenacious individual, who will be comfortable carrying out meticulous research as well as writing and delivering compelling pitches to companies. It will encompass a requirement for a strong sales approach combined with positive account management, and creativity with attention to detail. The role will require excellent communications skills, both oral and written and the ability to communicate often complex scientific ideas in a way that it accessible.
The post holder will have working knowledge of key IT packages (Word, Excel etc.) and be able and willing to learn others with which they may not immediately be familiar (for example a database package).
- Manage the relationships of existing corporate partners, encouraging and supporting on-going fundraising and activities and ensuring all Bowel & Cancer Research commitments are delivered.
- Plan and design a targeted approach strategy and a suite of communications for corporates, utilising and building on materials used already within Bowel & Cancer Research, such as the Bowel Cancer Quiz.
- Identify and cultivate new corporate partnerships which are a strategic fit for Bowel & Cancer Research, accessing a range of income streams and budget holders including Charity of The Year, Sponsorship, Payroll Giving and corporate trusts/foundations.
- Support the CEO in attending meetings with potential corporate partners, preparing creative pitches and proposals and briefing all staff involved in advance.
- Contribute to a regular monthly communications meeting to effectively incorporate PR, social media and digital marketing into activity where appropriate.
- Work with grant holders across Bowel & Cancer Research to ensure agreed promotional opportunities and monitoring and evaluation commitments are adhered to for any funding secured from corporates, including regular reporting on progress where necessary.
- Liaise regularly with the Trusts and Foundations Officer and the CEO to identify appropriate projects to match with company supporters and avoid unnecessary duplication.
- Prepare regular briefings for trustees on approaches/targets as appropriate.
- Ensure that the maintenance of company records on the database is maintained and regularly updated.
- Contribute to and provide regular updates across the organisation to ensure corporate fundraising activity is embedded within the organisation and is aligned with the wider plans and objectives of Bowel & Cancer Research.
- Any other duties as may be agreed from time to time.
- A demonstrable understanding of the range of corporate fundraising opportunities available to Bowel & Cancer Research
- Ability to communicate persuasively and effectively at all levels
- Excellent written communication skills
- Every day use of IT packages such as Word and Excel
- A demonstrable ability to plan and execute a programme of work to deliver the required income
- Able to work effectively with a variety of other roles internal and external
- A positive outlook and a positive team player
- Patient, determined and methodical
- Experience with databases on cloud platforms
- Event management experience
At least 3 good A’ levels (A* to C) or NVQ equivalent and 5 GCSEs (including maths and English at grade C or above)
At least two years in a related fundraising or marketing role, particularly within a medical research charity.
The successful candidate will be an energetic, positive and highly motivated self-starter who successfully combines strong research and planning skills with an outgoing and confident approach to dealing with decision makers at all levels within the corporate sector. A strong team player, they will be passionate about delivering results to increase Bowel & Cancer Research’s ability to fund high quality science tackling bowel cancer and other diseases.