ABOUT MORE IN COMMON
More in Common is a new international initiative, set up in 2017 to build communities and societies that are stronger, more united and more resilient to the increasing threats of polarisation and social division.
Our approach is to:
- Develop and deploy positive narratives that tell a new story of ‘us’, celebrating what we all have in common rather than what divides us.
- Connect people on a large scale and across lines of difference, through events and campaigns.
We are currently running pilot projects in both these areas of work. While we are only getting started, we have already set up national hubs in the UK, US, France and Germany and have published early findings from our first stages of work.
WHO WE WANT ON OUR TEAM
Although we are only at the beginning of our journey as an organization, we know one thing for certain: our team will be our greatest asset.
Here are some of the things we look for in all members of our team:
- A drive to make a positive contribution to society
- An appetite for learning and for a ‘test and learn’ approach
- Demonstrable empathy and great listening skills
- Superb collaborator
- An agile and entrepreneurial mind-set
- Self-reliant, capable of taking the initiative and working autonomously
- The capacity to embrace complexity and find a way through it
- Flexible, adaptable and comfortable working in high paced environment
- Highly organised with strong planning and problem-solving skills
- Able to set priorities, meet goals and evaluate the process and results
- Resilient and calm under pressure
- An ability to develop positive working relationships with people both internally and externally at all levels
- A belief in the immense power of a sense of humour
The task ahead of us is daunting but we believe that we have a better chance at success if our team reflects a broad range of social and cultural backgrounds, beliefs, political persuasions and life experiences. For this reason, we strongly encourage people of colour, people from religious or ethnic minorities, LGBTQ individuals and candidates with disabilities to apply to join our team.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
More in Common is looking for a Finance Manager who has a passion for supporting not-for-profits and who will thrive in a fast-paced and demanding start-up environment where their work will influence the organization’s strategic direction.
The Finance Manager will be responsible for managing our global finances, including:
- Financial management across More in Common’s offices in UK, USA, France and Germany: Managing financial accounting, monitoring and reporting systems, leading the preparation of the organisation’s budget, and monitoring and interpreting cash flows
- Monitoring and implementing the financial safeguards required by our Board of Directors as well as preparing any documents required for the Board meetings
- Support country Directors to work with their local accountants and manage their country finances
- Reviewing, recommending and implementing changes to improve financial management mechanisms and systems to minimize financial risk and ensure the long-term financial viability of the organisation
- Assist with the financial aspects of grant applications, and the preparation of financial information for donor reporting
- Produce accurate financial reports for Directors and budget holders, provide sound advice to the organisation’s Directors, and advise on the financial aspects of contract negotiations and the financial consequences of proposed actions
- Work with our accountants and auditors across international jurisdictions to ensure the timely submission of end of year financial accounts and ensure that the audit process is completed satisfactorily and delivered to time
- Communicate new processes and policies and provide key updates on the organisation’s finances to the wider team
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
As indicated above, we look for great people before we look for qualifications and experience.
However, the following will be an asset for this role:
- Qualified Accountant with strong finance management experience
- Fully conversant with accounting procedures legislation
- Track record of working with tight budgets
- Experience of leading budget processes
- Knowledge of UK financial legislation, ideally with some knowledge of financial legislation in France, US and Germany
- Ability to think strategically to identify possible improvements and experience of developing and successfully implementing new financial policies, processes and systems
- IT literate with an emphasis on financial systems and Excel, with an ability to learn and use new systems quickly
- Competitive salary plus pension scheme
- Requests for flexible working considered
Applications should be submitted in English and include a cover letter (max 1 page) and CV. Please send applications by email to email@example.com before 5 pm (London) on June 3, 2018 and use ‘Finance Manager’ in the email subject line.
Please note that only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls and no agencies.
As outlined above, we strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. Applicants must be eligible to work in either the UK without work permit sponsorship from More in Common.
Apply for Finance Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly