Press Officer (Research and Health)
To lead on increasing the understanding of Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis and the charity’s reputation as the leading patient support charity for people with the conditions. The role will focus on raising the profile of research into treatments and causes of Crohn’s and Colitis, which may lead to a cure one day. To use the media to support the charity’s strategic aims and plans by generating regular, high-profile coverage for the charity, and to support our campaigns via use of the media.
Manage the media communication of research, campaigns, policy, income generation activities and the charity profile:
- Secure consistent national, regional and specialist trade media coverage to raise the profile of Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis and the role of the charity, specialising in research communications.
- Develop and deliver media and PR plans for the organisation’s campaigns, achieving coverage of key messages to specific audiences, in support of the charity’s strategic aims.
- Keep abreast of the developing health service development policy agenda and, with policy and research colleagues, communicate research and policy-led messages through strong, compelling and accessible language.
- To review the charity’s research portfolio and identify proactive research communication including funding announcements.
- Work with the Income Generation team to raise the profile of fundraising events and fundraising achievements in relevant media.
- Support other teams with specific publicity on areas such as events, research and local networks.
- Develop forward planning, scheduling and information-sharing with colleagues to enable strategic media coverage on a range of issues and priorities.
- Advise and collaborate with colleagues on the best way to present issues that will engage audiences and achieve media coverage and make best use of celebrities and charity Ambassadors.
- Monitor and develop the media agenda and plan proactive media work to raise issues faced by people with Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Respond quickly to breaking news opportunities and where relevant, work with colleagues to respond swiftly to the media with comments.
- To attend and assist at any meetings or events as may reasonably be required by the Communications Manager.
Provide an effective media service:
- Write press releases, features and reactive statements for media as required and to deadline. Distribute to a targeted media using the contacts database.
- Provide timely and accurate information to journalists, both reactively and proactively
- Share the delivery of an out-of-hours press phone. Currently one week in four.
- Share the management of an e-daily news service with distribution to colleagues.
- Identify, develop and maintain journalist relations across a range of media outlets, including print (trade, national, regional), broadcast and digital
Evaluation and analysis:
- Collate and analyse media coverage attained and track the media performance of similar organisations.
- Assist in the production of reports, both for specific campaigns and to feed through to general reports.