Director of Education
The Director of Education is a critical new role for the Company, sitting on our Senior Leadership team and leading all our engagement with, and resources for, the education sector. We are looking for an inspirational leader who is engaging with stakeholders and supportive of their team, and a strong project manager, able to scope, manage and deliver key projects and resources to drive effective and efficient delivery.
Working with the COO, you will shape and deliver the Education Strategy. You will play a key role in the Company, bringing an understanding of the education landscape, relevant changes and scoping our role in responding to that landscape. In delivering our strategy you will be responsible for engaging senior education stakeholders from Ofsted to MAT Chains to Teaching Unions, building partnerships with them to deliver mutual benefits and reach the ambitious targets set out by our Implementation Plan as we look to support schools and colleges to deliver major elements of the Government’s Careers Strategy. You will build a community of Ambassadors from the education sector who will support raising the profile of the importance of careers and enterprise and driving engagement from schools and colleges at a local level. Finally, you will oversee our Centres of Excellence team, creating and commissioning the resources which support our stakeholders to enable schools and colleges to deliver best practice in careers and enterprise.
- Be the Company’s overall key point of contact for England’s schools, colleges, PRUs, MAT chains, Regional and National School Commissioners, OFSTED and Teaching Unions, building a strategy to provide the right level of engagement through regional and local teams.
- Build and manage relationships with a wide range of stakeholders across the education spectrum to build awareness of the Company’s work, shape future delivery, and encourage uptake of the Enterprise Adviser Network, our tools and resources and Careers Leader training.
- Develop and deliver a clear proposition to engage each segment of our Education stakeholders, for example engaging MAT Chains in our work, ensuring we can drive maximum progress in careers and enterprise provision in these networks, and best equip Enterprise Coordinators and Advisers to engage them locally, or ensuring we have a bespoke proposition for colleges which adds value to their existing work in the careers and enterprise space. Work closely with the Director of Operations (Network) to ensure these relationships are translated into effective on-the-ground delivery.
- Work with the Regional Leads to embed strategic education relationships into the delivery network, monitor the impact of these relationships to be able to support the strategic stakeholders to understand the impact of their involvement. Manage key strategic partnerships e.g. our relationship with ASCL (The Association of School and College Leaders) to deliver the maximum mutual benefit for both organisations.
- Lead and support our network of Ambassadors and Advisors through our Head teacher Advisory Group. Empower these Ambassadors to grow our network, reach and impact locally. Enable them to shape our future thinking.
- Build relationships with all Lead Schools supporting the ‘Careers Hubs’ around the country, create a community of schools and colleges from Hubs sharing best practice and learning against the Gatsby Benchmarks.
- Represent the Careers & Enterprise Company at external events and initiate and manage Company-led events to support the Company’s delivery in schools and FE colleges.
- Work with the Marketing & Communications team to create the communication and collateral required to engage education stakeholders and showcase the work of your stakeholders in delivering our mission, shining a light on best practice schools and colleges.
- Oversee the delivery of our youth engagement strategy, ensuring young people shape our work.
Understanding the education landscape and scoping the Company’s role
- Act as a subject matter expert in the Company and at SLT level, ensuring the Company are up to date on the latest changes in the Education landscape and understand how they impact our work.
- Assess opportunities and scope new projects to respond to changes to our remit or to the landscape.
- Provide expert input into key areas of work for The Company, supporting our operational teams.
- Work with the Educational Policy Lead to ensure that the Network is kept up-to-date on developments in educational policy and any adjustments in local delivery can be made quickly and effectively.
Developing resources and removing barriers to engagement
- Create a simple, user-friendly crisp offer to all schools, colleges and broader education stakeholders.
- Create and maintain a user-driven navigable library of best practice resources to support schools and colleges to deliver best practice in careers and enterprise, identifying best practice already in existence and commissioning new resources where there are gaps.
- Identify, capture and share careers and enterprise related best practice from schools and colleges using the appropriate processes and channels for communication and dissemination.
- Based on evidence and Network feedback, identify barriers to achieving the Gatsby Benchmarks and work to remove these at a national level.
- Work with the L&D Manager to ensure Enterprise Coordinators, Hub Leads and Careers Leaders are equipped with the training, tools and resources they need to deliver their roles effectively.
Team leadership, development and governance
- Manage and support a small team to effectively engage and support the education sector, and those who support them on careers and enterprise.
- Establish the team as the ‘go to’ experts within the Company for other teams, providing education expertise and removing barriers to delivery to enable schools and colleges to deliver best practice.
- Manage the Education budget, ensuring resources are spent down in line with plan and meet value for money criteria.
- Oversee the milestone plan for the team, ensuring it is up-to-date and risks and dependencies are flagged and addressed early, escalating further where required. Support the Network team to tackle risks in the Network by responding rapidly where the education team can support.
- Prepare reports, briefs and project proposals for the COO and CEO, CEC Board, Government, Ambassador and Advisory Groups on your areas of work
- Undertake ad hoc projects and activities to support the company’s overall aim of preparing young people for the world of work.
Qualifications & Experience required:
- Previous experience within the education sector and a sound understanding of the current challenges in the careers education landscape.
- Experience of successfully mapping, developing and managing stakeholder relationships at the most senior level, building partnerships and delivering impact as a result.
- Previous experience of developing and/or engaging senior education stakeholders in specific education initiatives.
- Demonstrable experience of creating engaging, high quality resources to support others to create and embed change.
- Previous experience of scoping new propositions and areas of work, responding to user-need and scope changes.
- Proven track record of managing multiple projects to time and budget.
- Experience of managing a team.
- Teaching experience at a senior level preferred.
Skills & Core Competencies:
- Collaborative and good at building and managing stakeholder relationships at all levels – both externally and internally.
- An excellent communicator with good interpersonal skills, confident working with individuals at all levels, presenting to a variety of audiences, and with the ability to influence others.
- The ability to influence others to implement change and achieve greater impact by getting stakeholders to work together.
- Solutions-orientated individual who can mobilise people to deliver results.
- Team player who supports and develops others to perform at their best. A leader, who has the ability to build and manage a high performing team.
- Analytical, detail-orientated individual who can use data to influence stakeholder engagement, resource creation and projects.
- The ability to identify and manage risk and assure quality of our work.
- Pragmatic and adaptable with the ability to deal with significant levels ambiguity and effectively manage through conflict.
- Proactive, with the ability to work independently, prioritising a busy workload and a large number of stakeholders.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to our HR team
There will be a multiple stage interview process for this post and expected interview dates are 25th May 1st stage / 30 &31st May 2nd stage and final stage w/c 4th June. We will accommodate interviews outside of these dates where possible, but ask candidates to be aware of these dates in advance to help us facilitate a smooth process. The process will be a mixture of competency based questions, tasks and presentations.