Head of Finance
The Gurkha Welfare Trust is seeking to appoint an experienced Head of Finance who is responsible for the day to day accounting and financial management of the charity and its subsidiary.
The Head of Finance is also responsible for budgeting, and reporting on the financial performance to the management, the Finance and Audit Committees and Trustees.
The Head of Finance is a key member of the Senior Management Team and is supported by one Assistant Accountant and a small team in Nepal, and reports to the Trust Director.
- Day to day responsibility for the Trust’s finance function, including oversight of financial information received from the Gurkha Welfare Trust Nepal (GWT (N)).
- Preparation of the Trust’s annual budget and three-year plan with supporting schedules for submission to the Finance Committee and Trustees.
- Preparation of the regular management accounts with supporting commentary.
- Preparation of the annual GWT statutory accounts in accordance with UK legal and accounting and Charity Commission requirements and with supporting schedules for audit purposes.
- Responsibility for maintaining an appropriate system of internal control within the Trust.
- Responsibility for accounting policies and procedures throughout the Trust, ensuring they are up to date and in accordance with current best practice and regulatory and Charity Commission requirements.
- Advising Trustees on all aspects of the Trust’s financial performance and position including that of GWT (N).
- Contributing to the strategic direction of the Trust.
- Maintaining regular liaison with the Honorary Treasurer.
- Carrying out or supervising routine tasks including completion of monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts, day-to-day input of accounting data, maintenance of investment account records, handling purchase invoices, and processing staff payrolls.
- Liaising with HMRC as required on all aspects of the Trust’s accounts.
- Providing an external interface with banks, auditors, pension funds, investment managers, consultants and charity finance specialists.
- Liaising with the MOD on all matters associated with the Service Day’s Pay Giving (SDPG) and Grant in Aid (GIA).
- Maintaining oversight of accounting policies and procedures used within the GWT (N).
- Maintaining the accounts of GWT Trading Ltd and preparing the final accounts for audit and/or review.
- Providing support to all members of staff within their areas of responsibility including assisting with the financial aspects of grant applications, contract negotiations and project proposals and providing guidance on HMRC, Charity Commission and other regulations.
- Ensuring appropriate backups of financial information are stored off site.
The ideal candidate for this role will be an experienced senior manager, able to demonstrate these qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Accountancy qualification
- Track record in financial management at a senior level
- Experience of working in the charity or third sector at a senior level
- Understanding of how an organisation’s strategic direction is supported by its financial framework
- Experience of accounting data processing and report generation using current business intelligence (BI) and reporting packages in addition to Excel
- Ability to work both strategically and operationally
- Track record in managing direct reports including effective delegation, coaching and performance management
- Attention to detail while being able to see the big picture
- Experience in PS Financial would be desirable.
How To Apply
To apply for this role please send your CV along with a covering letter by using the Apply section below.
You can also find the full Job Description below for further information.
Interview will take place in Salisbury on 12 June 2018.