Senior Finance Officer
Purpose of Job
The key purpose is to work with the Director of Finance to develop, implement and constantly refine Cruse’s financial management systems to ensure they are effective and fit for purpose as the organisation develops.
Additionally, the post-holder has an important supporting role in ensuring Cruse’s projects and programmes are properly budgeted and that all aspects of project funding and associated running costs are included.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Financial Systems and Budgeting
- Working with the Director of Finance to develop, implement and adapt a financial management system that fulfils the needs of the organisation as it develops.
- Working with the Director of Finance to produce the annual budget for Cruse, based on past performance and projected activity.
- To assist in producing an organisational cashflow to allow effective financial planning and use of resources.
- To assist in the production of monthly management accounts with regular reforecasting of cashflow and the budget.
- To assist in the production of the annual statutory accounts for audit and approval by the Board.
- Production and submission of grant claims for multi-year programmes to major funders.
- Specific financial analysis of projects and activities to enable decision making within Cruse.
- Providing financial reports for budget holders, and ensuring that budget holders monitor and manage their budgets effectively.
Financial Management and Administration
- Overseeing the running of a system for approving and recording day to day expenditure and income.
- Ensuring all transactions are properly coded on the system to allow effective control and reporting.
- Ensuring the timely issuing of sales invoices.
- Liaison with creditors and chasing debtors.
- Overseeing payment requisitions and authorising payments (within agreed limits).
- Appropriate use of online payment systems.
- Ensuring procedures and systems are being adhered to by budget holders, offering appropriate training and support.
- Overseeing the administration of payroll and providing support when necessary.
- Overseeing the administration of VAT Returns and providing support when necessary.
- Overseeing the administration of Gift Aid Returns and providing support when necessary.
Internal Support and Oversight
- Supporting staff in the development of project budgets.
- Ensuring all aspects of the cost of a project are included in its budget.
- Supporting staff in providing financial reports to external funders.
- Undertake financial analysis of any function of the charity to assess its performance.
- To attend and participate in meetings, training and conferences as required.
- To work with staff, volunteers and others in furthering the aims of Cruse within its agreed policies
To carry out other duties as may reasonably be required.