The Gurkha Museum Trust is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (Registration No 1169920) and is Arts Council England Accredited. The Museum is located in Peninsula Barracks, Winchester in Hampshire along with five other military museums. It is open throughout the year and receives about 12,000 visitors annually. In addition to the permanent exhibition, reserve collection and outstanding archive, the Museum is fully engaged with education and outreach programmes, lectures, events, trading, other commercial activities and support to all in achieving its aims and objectives.
The role will require flexibility by the post holder to ensure effective delivery of services by the Museum.
“To direct and coordinate the day to day activities of the Gurkha Museum, assisting the Director and ensuring the Museum's business is carried out in a timely, efficient and cost-effective manner”’
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To work closely with the Director and senior management team in prioritising day to day activities. Whilst primarily focused on internal actives he/she will assist the Director with external affairs, deputising for the Director as necessary.
- To take a proactive role in assisting the Director in strategy development and to take the lead in developing the Museum’s policies and procedures. Responsible for the Museum’s Management Plan.
- To ensure the Museum’s governance arrangements are compliant, efficient and meet best practice. To supervise the calling and servicing of the Board of Trustees and subordinate committees, including acting as Secretary to the Board and specified sub committees.
- In consultation with the senior management team, to develop and manage the Museum’s external communications plan. Ensure timely and effective internal and external communication within the Museum. To be prepared to act as the Museum’s spokesperson as required.
- To ensure the delivery of the HR and CPD programmes, including recruitment, induction, training, appraisal and disciplinary procedures of both permanent staff and volunteers.
- To ensure the efficient and effective running of the Museum office and its associated infrastructure. Responsible for all IT procurement and support policy. To coordinate and manage all Office contracts.
- In consultation with the senior management team, to prepare and manage the Museum Budget.
- With the support of the Commercial Manager, to provide day to day oversight on the Museum’s trading and commercial activities.
- With the support of the Collections Officer, to provide day to day oversight on the Museum’s Collection and Archives.
- To develop and maintain a good and supportive relationship with the Museum’s key partners, specifically: Headquarters Brigade of Gurkhas, the Gurkha Welfare Trust, the Gurkha Brigade Association, the MOD, the Army Museum’s Ogilvy Trust, the SE Museum Development Programme and the Winchester Military Museum’s Group.
The Gurkha Museum Trust is the guardian of the rich Gurkha heritage of over twenty former and antecedent Gurkha regiments and units that have served the British Crown for more than 200 years - a heritage which continues to evolve. Today, it represents four serving Gurkha regiments and corps, the Gurkha Staff and Personnel Support Company and the Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas. Amongst Britain’s military museums it is unique as it tells the story of a soldier who is not a citizen of the United Kingdom and whose country, Nepal, has never formed part of Britain’s late Empire or the Commonwealth.
Apply for Assistant Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly