Consultant Ophthalmologist (2 Year Fixed Term Contract)
Sightsavers, an international development organization that promotes the prevention and cure of avoidable blindness and equality opportunity for disabled people, seeks to recruit an experienced, self-driven and dynamic ophthalmologist who is keen to develop a career in a dynamic organisation and challenging environment. Candidates applying outside of Liberia must be willing to relocate to Liberia if successfully appointed to this role.
The incumbent will work with the Senior Global Technical Lead for eye health and Chief Global Technical Lead to ensure technical leadership is provided in eye heath in Liberia in particular, but also to other Sightsavers Eye Health Projects in West Africa. The officer will be able to contribute to organisational and programmatic strategic plans in eye health and help ensure that Sightsavers’ projects in eye heath in West Africa are conceptualised, designed, and implemented as aligned with organisational and thematic strategy.
The successful candidate will be required to lead the development of clinical services at Phebe eye hospital for a period of up to 4 years, provide technical leadership and support for clinical activities and quality to other facilities and personnel in the Liberia Eye Care Programme and Sightsavers Liberia/West Africa: the successful candidate’s job will include the following.
- To develop and lead a team of skilled and motivated health workers providing high quality clinical services at the Phebe eye clinic in Liberia.
- To provide technical and clinical leadership support and mentorship to the cataract surgeons and ophthalmic nurses at the Phebe eye hospital and mentor the cataract surgeons at other Sightsavers supported eye health facilities in Liberia (20%)
- Establish a high quality, patient responsive clinical service at the Phebe eye clinic with state of the art medical equipment that will serve as an exemplar for other county eye clinics we support in the country.
- Provide clinical services in Phebe and Bong County including running a regular consulting clinic and regular operating theatre sessions. The ophthalmologist will supervise outreach activities, primary eye care training, and other case finding activities in the Liberia programme and ensure the Phebe eye meets its targets for service delivery outputs and quality. (60% of workload)
- The successful candidate will be required to provide some technical support for implementation and quality improvement in other eye clinics under Sightsavers support in Liberia and the West Africa region which may be up to (20%) of the workload.
The ideal candidate will possesses the following skills and competencies:
- Medical doctor with post-graduate qualification in clinical ophthalmology
- Postgraduate degree(s) or similar qualification in public eye health, community eye health or public health will be an advantage.
- Evidence of excellent surgical and clinical skills with considerable experience in high quality/ high output cataract surgical services.
- Knowledge of current issues and best practice in eye health and international development
- Analytical thinking and ability to plan strategically from organisational perspective.
- Excellent leadership and networking skills with the ability to build strong working relationships across different departments and work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional teams.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills with ability to build strong working relationships between the Phebe eye clinic and the hospital management, and work collaboratively with the National Health programme and other stakeholders in eye care.
- Experience and ability to train/ mentor junior cadres of eye care workers.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English