Strategic Advisor to the Rwanda Development Board
Strategic Advisor to the Rwanda Development Board
About Tony Blair Institute for Global Change:
The Tony Blair Institute for Global Change (TBI) is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to making globalisation work for the many.
We offer new thinking and new approaches to addressing some of the most intractable problems leaders today are wrestling with.
The Institute works to provide policy and strategy in support of a vision of globalisation which improves the well-being of people: economically, politically, and socially. Our focus is on tackling the big challenges which hold such a vision of globalisation back:
- Poor governance which stops the benefits of globalisation being shared because countries cannot build the institutional strength and resilience to transform their situation and deliver for their people
- Extremism which stops the co-existence and cultural open-mindedness essential for social integration
- Conflict which entrenches sectarianism and paralyses progress, particularly in the Middle East
- Western politics which is in urgent need of a new agenda to provide radical but sensible answers to the new challenges presented by globalisation, technology, and the rise of a new false populism.
What We Look For in Our People
The following list describes the type of experience and characteristics we are looking for:
- A Master’s degree in business or other relevant fields, preferably with specialization/expertise in management, finance or economics and ideally within a developmental context.
- Should have experience in management consulting, investment banking, investment management or a similar field.
- Experience working primarily within the private sector. Ideally with some exposure to public sector organisations in developing and implementing business support and policy advocacy actions.
- Preference for individuals with work experience in Africa and/or other developing markets
- Strong analytical and research skills. Excellent business writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills (in English).
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with counterparts across a large organization;
- Drive, motivation and ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to mentor, coach, and build capacity, preferably within a low capacity environment.
Rwanda’s image as an investment destination is rapidly improving, and an increasing amount of investors are assessing whether to base their operations in the country. This is at least partially due to Rwanda’s remarkable efforts at improving the business environment, evidenced in the country’s rapid rise in various international ranking indexes such as the World Bank’s Doing Business index, where Rwanda most recently placed 41st globally and second in Sub-Saharan Africa behind Mauritius.
For Rwanda to reach its ambitious development goals of achieving middle-income and high-income country status within the coming decades, the interest shown by investors needs to be converted into successful business ventures at an accelerating pace. Having recognized the importance of private investment to development, the Government of Rwanda focuses its investment activities within specific areas of the Rwanda Development Board (RDB).
TBI has been asked to provide support within these investment targeted areas. TBI has had a number of advisors in RDB previously working on a broad range of topics, including investment promotion. The focus of the new Advisor will be to work closely in supporting the C-suite level of the organization.
The Advisor will be a member of TBI’s team in Rwanda. The team consists of nine experienced advisors providing embedded support to key economic institutions of the government. The Advisor will benefit from network effects of the Rwanda team. He/she will also be a member of TBI’s Inclusive Growth practice, through which they will gain from and contribute to the expertise of TBI’s teams across Africa and beyond.
- The Advisor will be based in the RDB’s investment-focused division, working closely with the C-suite, the Head of Strategy and other Department Heads. The Advisor will support in the strategic oversight and lifecycle management of investment promotion activities, including:
- Work with the Strategy group within the investment area to help develop and monitor key sectors of investment promotion activity for the country
- Support in preliminary screening of investment proposals and international investors for compatibility with the country’s overall investment strategy
- Work with the investment area’s core research and analytical group to evaluate, analyse and develop specific investment proposals, often across multiple sectors
- Assist in improvement of investment promotion/marketing, as well as investor follow-up activities, attempting to diagnose and address systematic or organizational issues
- Work in coordination with counterparts across multiple ministries and agencies within the Government of Rwanda, often with limited capacity, resources and under severe time constraints
- Serve to represent the investment promotion agency and GoR broadly, at conferences and meetings, with both domestic and international investors
- Provide agile support for ad hoc investment related projects
How to apply
Please visit our website via the link.