Our client is a flourishing parish church in the heart of the World Heritage City of Bath and within this a significant part of the city`s rich heritage which reaches back to Roman times.
While the geographical parish has only a small residential population, their congregation is a gathered community from all over the city and surrounding area. They also welcome over 450,000 regional, national and international visitors and worshipers. They have over 25 staff, over 300 volunteers and over 600 in its congregation.
Footprint is an exciting and ambitious project that will create rooms, environments, activities and interpretation facilities that will enable the Abbey fulfil its mission for generations to come.
After 5 years of planning, they are about to start the main £10m build phase of their £20m Footprint Project which has been partially funded by a £10m Heritage Lottery Fund grant. The build phase will include:
- the carrying out of essential repairs to the floor of the Abbey;
- the installation of a new eco-friendly under-floor heating system using Baths unique hot springs as a source of energy;
- increasing the capacity of the Abbey to be a place where people come together and to fulfil the Abbeys mission as a place of worship, hospitality and justice.
- the build of a Discovery Centre, Learning Centre and Choir Rehearsal room
As their Projects Director you will be responsible for the continued strategic direction, planning, control, delivery and completion of their Footprint Project. You will need to ensure that the project is completed safely, making sure that the project runs on time and within the allocated budget allowance, whilst keeping the Abbey open and functioning.
You will have extensive experience of working with in-house teams, buildings and finance committees, external contractors and suppliers in a collaborative and integrated manner and will be required to lead on the Footprint Project. Additionally you will be required to supervise and direct various building, refurbishment and maintenance operations within the Abbey and its associated buildings. To this end you will work closely with a team of staff who will deal with the maintenance and operations of their buildings.
As Projects Director you will ensure that the Abbeys safety, quality, environmental, commercial and project management procedures are followed across the Footprint project and that appropriate resources and expertise are made available to safely deliver, sustainable and efficient outcomes that meet agreed objectives.
You will ensure that threats and opportunities for successful delivery continue to be identified and are being regularly reviewed, and that risk mitigation actions are identified and undertaken by internal staff, consultants and contractors. Responding to and dealing with any contractual and commercial risks as soon as they are identified and developing Project risk management strategies.
As growth is important to the Abbey you will have the ability to continue to assess and prepare bids, draft and negotiate consultancy contracts. You will be able to develop and maintain relationships with clients, peers and others who are influential in providing post Footprint works for the Abbey.
Qualifications & Experience Requirements:
They are looking for someone:
- who has a degree in construction management, construction project management or construction engineering management;
- who is proven and experienced in managing construction projects from inception to completion up to the value of £10m;
- has project knowledge spanning build, maintenance, refurbishment and fit-out;
- with a demonstrable experience of delivering construction projects to time, cost and quality;
- who is experienced in heritage / church buildings and lottery funded construction projects;
- who is sympathetic to the Abbey as a major centre of Christian mission and a major visitor attraction;
- who has a good understanding of the health and safety requirements to maintain a safe working environment;
- who has a proven track record of dealing with staff, consultants, contractors and forging effective relationships in a professional and customer focused manner;
- with a network of client, consultant and contractor contacts and relationships;
- who is confident in dealing with senior level stakeholders;
- with excellent people, motivation and communication skills;
- who is creative in problem solving to overcome any obstacles that they may face
- with excellent organisational and planning skills
As Project Director you will be able to demonstrate clear and successful project management skills, technical and financial competence, with proven ability to organise, influence and direct the delivery of a large similar schemes from feasibility to construction. You will be able to demonstrate experience of contract supervision and the proven ability to facilitate effective planning of the works and the wider Abbey, so that programmes are established and maintained within the Footprint project team to ensure timely delivery within a controlled budget.
The successful candidate will also have a full time assistant and the role of Projects Director reports directly into the Executive Director who in turn reports into the Rector of the Abbey.
Projects Director – 3 year Fixed Term Contract
Salary Range: £42k - £48k depending on experience
Full Time Role: 40 Hours per week across 7 days
Benefits: 25 Days holiday, pension scheme membership and BUPA Cashplan membership after a qualifying period of three months
To apply for the Project Director position, please send a copy of your CV along with a letter of application stating why you are a suitable candidate for this post.
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 11th May 2018.
Please check your email for confirmation that your application has been received and to follow further instructions if applicable.
Apply for Projects Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly