We are looking for an experienced leader to join our Senior Leadership Team as Trading Director. You will have full end-to-end leadership responsibility for Save the Children’s retail business and be accountable for the delivery of significant levels of income.
Our Marketing and Fundraising divisions exist to inspire millions of people – from individuals to large corporate organisations – to support our quest for change. Together, we save children’s lives, fight for their rights and help them fulfil their potential.
As Trading Director, you will be responsible for developing the future operating model for the retail store network and leading change that will see the retail organisation contribute to the ambitious Fundraising strategy over the next five years. Responsible for driving best-practice operations into the stores, you will also look at new formats and propositions as well as developing an industry leading multi-channel business.
Our 130-strong retail store network includes over 20 Mary’s Living & Giving boutique charity retail stores, where in 2009 the legendary Mary Portas and Save the Children joined forces to take the lead on a charity retail revolution resulting in a blaze of publicity and a new style of charity retailing. These boutique Mary’s Living & Giving stores are in addition to our UK wide network of over 100 Community Charity Retail stores.
Some additional key responsibilities for this role include:
- Support the SLT and Executive Director of Fundraising & Marketing in developing and implementing the overall Fundraising strategy
- Lead, drive and further develop our retail strategy, researching new business opportunities and progressing pilot implementation
- Lead, develop and motivate the ‘heads of’ functions to implement agreed strategies and deliver against contribution, income and expenditure targets
- Oversee the development of a clear and simple, multi-channel retail proposition for customers, donors and volunteers across our high street and online businesses
- Oversee the development of a robust property and store development strategy.
To be successful you will have demonstrable experience of leading a retail business of significant scale and complexity. An ability to initiate, manage and steward senior relationships on behalf of the organisation is essential, as is experience of personally delivering to defined and challenging goals. In addition you will have:
- Experience of delivering against substantial financial targets and KPI’s with previous ownership of a P&L
- Significant senior level business development experience gained within the retail sector
- Proven commercial acumen through delivery of margin from an established business
- Excellent leadership abilities with the ability to inspire a team to bring about change and maintain high levels of staff engagement and performance
- The ability to work across departmental boundaries to achieve shard organizational goals.
Experience of working in the volunteering, or not-for-profit sector is desirable.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute then join us and we'll give you every opportunity to succeed. We look forward to hearing from you.
To apply please visit our website.
Closing date: 7th May 2018