Policy Advisor (Grade 7)
Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs
Salary from: £46,150 (National) £50,750 (London)
Locations: Bristol (BS1 5AH), London (SW1P 3JR), York (YO1 7PX)
Two year fixed term appointment (with potential for extension or permanency)
At the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) our responsibilities are large and wide-ranging. Our work is aimed at creating a cleaner, healthier environment, developing a world-leading food and farming industry, expanding a thriving rural economy and securing robust defences against natural threats and hazards across the UK. This exciting work will only increase in complexity as the nation moves closer to leaving the EU. Join us as we take a lead in delivering this once-in-a-generation change, and see what you can do, having a real impact.
This is a unique opportunity to play an important and leading role in the development of new policies which will help Defra to create ‘a great place for living’ when the UK exits the EU. You will be expected to:
- Develop deep specialisms on key aspects of your policy or sector, in order to take on highly complex work;
- Set priorities, shape working methods, agree targets and allocate appropriate resources to your team;
- Act independently to achieve agreed outcomes;
- Consider new ways of managing and implementing policy within set budgets and timescales;
- Cultivate a strong personal network across government and industry;
- Influence and challenge senior stakeholders and colleagues to support brokered solutions, across organisational boundaries.
Everyone in Defra is supported to develop their skills and capabilities. You will have access to learning and development from quality providers and support from mentors and coaches. We offer flexible working alongside a range of other policies and schemes to support your physical and emotional wellbeing. Our comprehensive benefits offer includes generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, volunteering days, childcare vouchers and other salary sacrifice options, and an employee discount scheme.
Closing date: 22 April 2018.