Policy Support Advisor (Executive Officer grade)
Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs
Salary from: £23,480 (National) £26,350 (London)
Locations: Bristol (BS1 5AH), London (SW1P 3JR), York (YO1 7PX)
Two year fixed term appointment (with potential for extension or permanency)
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) plays a vital role at the heart of UK life. The wide-ranging work we do includes safeguarding the natural environment, supporting the UK’s world-leading food and farming industries, sustaining a thriving rural economy and leading the engineering of the nation’s defences against natural threats and hazards. Join Defra and you will be part of a department that is responsible for the food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe.
As a Policy Support Advisor you will enjoy a once-in-a-generation opportunity to support the development of new policies which will help Defra to create ‘a great place for living’ when the UK exits the EU. You will be expected to:
- Explore complex options for policy making and problem solving;
- Carry out research and analysis into fascinating areas of industry and trade;
- Take responsibility for your own pieces of work within a broader project;
- Interact with senior leaders and diverse stakeholders;
- Work with, and learn from, colleagues with highly developed skills in policy development and analysis;
- Contribute to decisions made at the highest levels of government - from business planning to policy implementation and beyond.
Everyone in Defra is supported to develop their skills and capabilities. You will have access to learning and development from quality providers and support from mentors and coaches. We offer flexible working alongside a range of other policies and schemes to support your physical and emotional wellbeing. Our comprehensive benefits offer includes generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, volunteering days, childcare vouchers and other salary sacrifice options, and an employee discount scheme.
Closing date: 22 April 2018.