Director of Development and Communications
The Director will oversee our communications channels, fundraising, marketing and strategic communications work. We have huge opportunities for engaging corporate partners, potential funders and members of the public with our work to end loneliness. This post will lead the development of the Campaign’s fundraising, communications, external relations and public campaigning activities to support the delivery of the Campaign’s strategic and corporate objectives.
This is a member of the senior management team at the Campaign to End Loneliness – a pivotal senior role in a critical change agency, which will be tasked with leading some of the flagship work streams for the organisation. Its primary role will be to develop partnerships and funding relationships with new funders as well as manage the operational elements of the already massively successful public campaign on moments of connection. In addition, line management of the communications team requires this post to be rounded and experienced, strategic and at ease with delivery and operations, as well as seeking open and honest conversations about improvements and learning by working with SMT colleagues and our external evaluation partner on our test and learn evaluation.
- Develop major, creative integrated communications and marketing strategies tailored to stakeholders’ needs and interests and boosting the national and regional campaigning work of the Campaign.
- Develop and lead the Campaign’s mass public communications strategy, meeting high targets for public involvement in the Campaign’s work and outcomes.
- Identify creative opportunities and partnerships to develop new programmes and projects that could leverage new funds and support as part of leading an ongoing fundraising and trading strategy.
- Build the profile of the Campaign based on its experience and knowledge of older people’s needs and concerns and to position it as a commentator of choice on loneliness.
- Develop the Campaign’s understanding and knowledge of its stakeholder’s needs to support the positioning of the Campaign as a commentator of choice on loneliness issues
- Provide leadership to the organisation, with the Executive Director and senior management team, in a period of rapid growth, contributing actively to the development of the organisation.
- Provide input to the development of organisational strategy.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, input into the scoping, business planning and evaluation of new activity.
- As a member of the Campaign’s Senior Management Team, the Director of Development and Communications will deputise for the Executive Director, as and when required.
Fundraising, Communications and Marketing
- Devise and implement a fundraising and trading strategy that creatively develops new opportunities and initiatives.
- Ensure that the Fundraising, Trading, Communications and Marketing functions work to support and enhance the Campaigns, Research and Policy work of the organisation, working with the Director of Campaigns, Policy and Research.
- Grow and maintain high-level fundraising and trading relationships, and manage the reporting relationship with all funders and donors, including ensuring trust funders have appropriate reporting – working with the Partnerships Manager, the Evaluation Officer and any consultants.
- Build and lead the delivery of strategic communications partnerships and projects that support the public communications and wider communications goals of the Campaign.
- Develop and implement major public-facing communications, media and marketing strategies tailored to the needs and interests of the public and other stakeholders, through: the communications team; aligning with the Campaigns, Policy and Research team’s work; involving older people; managing any communications contractors; and collaborating with close Campaign partners.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills, and considerable diplomacy, sensitivity, tact and sound judgement; including experience of using a range of influencing and relationship building techniques to deal with internal and external stakeholders and high profile relationships both internally and externally
- Superb presentation skills, including tailoring messages, and building 121 relationships through audience journeys and pipelines
- Excellent team building and staff development skills, including using a range of management styles to suit the situation and team member
- Ideally, a good understanding of older age sector
- Ideally, excellent knowledge and understanding of loneliness issues and the campaigning environment nationally or demonstrable transferable skills
- Ability and willingness to travel around the UK, occasionally abroad and work flexibly regarding location and time of day/ weekends
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- The flexibility to adapt and respond to changing circumstances, self-motivation, energy, commitment and resilience.
- Ability to lead a team with a sense of purpose and overall direction and gaining the understanding, commitment and motivation of others across all teams to achieve organisational objectives
- Ability to introduce changes to structures, processes, products and services by focusing effort on securing commitment from others to make change work
- Ability to generate new ideas and concepts, anticipating and responding positively to changes in relation to strategies, work projects, problems and opportunities.
How to Apply
To apply for this post, please submit:
A comprehensive CV. and detailed supporting statement that clearly and fully addresses all elements of the Person Specification.
Closing Date: Wednesday 18th April 2018
Shortlisting: Friday 26th April 2018
Interviews: 2nd & 3rd May 2018
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and so the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Independent Age is committed to equality of opportunity and of eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to adhere to the principles set out in its Equal Opportunities Policy and all other relevant guidance/practice frameworks.