Chair of Trustees
Thank you for your interest in becoming Khulisa's Chair of Trustees.
Our vision is of a society where people have a voice and are empowered to live healthy, crime-free lives. We help young adults and children address the root causes of their challenging behaviours and support them to make positive life choices. We do this by delivering behaviour change programmes and trauma-informed and therapeutically underpinned support in schools, prisons and communities.
Our programmes have a strong emphasis on developing emotional resilience, improving well-being and raising aspiration. They also support longer-term outcomes including reduced offending, improved educational attainment and employability.
Over the last 10 years, we have established ourselves as an effective organisation, punching above its weight and producing evidence-based thought leadership in the criminal justice sector.
Now is the time for us to build on that foundation, implementing our strategy for growth and further developing our influence on both policy and practice nationally. Ultimately, our future success will be determined by the extent to which we can engage others to support our work and approaches that demonstrate that there is a kinder and more effective way of breaking the cycle of crime and violence.
The Chair of Trustees we want to appoint is someone who lives our values of being nurturing, empathic and resilient with the energy and vision to support Khulisa through this period of growth
Khulisa is a charity working to change the system, change perceptions and change lives.
Our programmes are proven to reduce crime by improving the wellbeing, resilience and aspiration of excluded children and prisoners across the UK.
We do this by supporting, inspiring and empowering excluded people instead of villainising, neglecting or further punishing them, which is an approach that has failed for far too long.
Khulisa – ‘to nurture’ in Zulu – represents our South African heritage and our core belief that everyone, no matter their background, has the capacity to learn and grow in a safe, nurturing environment.
We believe that schools, prisons, communities and government need a much more joined-up approach to help people escape the cycle of social exclusion and crime, which is why we are Britain’s only charity offering behaviour change programmes, training and research services at all key stages of the criminal justice system, giving us an unrivalled breadth of expertise of what works to reduce crime.
With this, we are pushing for policy changes, so that we better support our schools, prisons and communities to reduce social exclusion and crime, and create a safer, more inclusive society.
To date, we have supported over 3,000 people across the UK and aim to support a further 3000 over the next 3 years. We are a recognised innovator and contributor to the criminal and community justice sectors, endorsed by range of external academic evaluations outlining our impact:
- Reduce offending to 7.6% (national average between 44% - 59% based on sentence length)
- 90% of young people show improved behaviour, relationships and performance in school
We have also provided training to over 2,000 parents, carers and professionals - including teachers, social workers, prison officers, and police officers to equip them with skills to resolve conflict more successful and create safer, more effective institutions.
Khulisa is seeking a new Chair to support the Board of Trustees and Executive Team in scaling Khulisa’s impact as outlined in our 2017-2020 strategic plan and beyond.
This is an exciting opportunity to help drive the success of a growing and impactful charity to tackle these challenges; developing safer, more nurturing prisons, schools and communities which empower people to be resilient, ambitious and make healthier life choices.
To achieve this, it is essential a new Chair supports Khulisa to develop its voice within the sector; realising its influencing potential to challenge some of the structural barriers and inequalities that can reduce violence and crime and create a fairer, more inclusive society.
We are looking for someone who shares these strong values - passionate about empowering young people and communities to live free from violence and crime, while understanding the systemic conditions that cause it. You will also bring active networks that would support Khulisa’s campaigning, fundraising and thought-leadership.
Khulisa’s current Board of ten is a diverse group made up of leaders from a wide range of backgrounds, including the third sector, business, legal, media, finance and individuals with lived experience of the criminal justice system. Khulisa’s board meets four times per year, usually at its offices in King’s Cross, London. The overall time commitment for a trustee is expected to be up to two days per quarter. The position of trustee is voluntary, but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
- Chair and facilitate meetings with confidence, and embody a positive, empowering leadership style that reflects Khulisa’s values.
- Contribute actively to make sure Khulisa’s board fulfils its responsibilities for the governance of the organisation and its role of agreeing, setting and monitoring strategic goals
- Ensure that Khulisa’s strategic direction, policies and objectives are clear and kept under review
- Take a leading role in determining the diversity and structure of the Board; reviewing size, balance of age, background, experience, personality and supporting new trustee recruitment and induction.
- Review financial viability and ensure the financial stability of Khulisa
- Act as an ambassador and spokesperson and champion Khulisa’s objectives at a senior level, fostering networks that can help generate income for the organisation
- Represent Khulisa at key external events and support relationships with key stakeholders
- Ensure that Khulisa acts in accordance with legislation, its constitution and those procedures
- Attend board meets four times per year - overall time commitment for the chair is expected to be up to two days per quarter.
Characteristics & Skills
- Authentic, open and honest
- Integrity and humility
- Commitment to the vision, mission and core principles of Khulisa
- Strong communication skills with the capacity to express yourself with clarity
- Experience of committee work, ability to work effectively as a team member, and an understanding of the differences between governance and management
- Active third sector, business and philanthropy networks to generate business and donor opportunities as well as professional and advisory support
- Strategic and ambitious for Khulisa with an ability to shape a vision for the future
- Strong influencing, networking and advocacy skills
How to apply
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact:
Chief Executive, Khulisa
M 07976 136 446
Application is by way of CV and a Supporting Statement, which should concentrate on responsibilities and values alignment (1,000 words max).
Closing date: Monday 9th April
Apply for Chair of Trustees
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly