Media Relations Manager
Power To Change is seeking an enthusiastic professional with solid media relations experience to help raise the profile of community businesses. The rich and diverse stories of community business entrepreneurs and their important role in enhancing local communities, have already captured the imagination of the media; with recent features on peak-time TV and increasing coverage in national media like the Guardian and the Mirror. Add in high profile partnerships with organisations like M&S and there is all the potential to build on your career in communications.
Power to Change is the independent charitable trust that supports community businesses in England. Our vision is to create better places through community business as we believe that no one understands a community better than the people who live there. Since 2015, we’ve supported over 400 community businesses to revive assets, protect services and address local needs
Join our small, but extremely focused, communications team, to engage with the media on both local and national levels to raise awareness and build on our success story. Of graduate calibre, you will have an outstanding record of achieving change through communications.
You will be working closely with other like-minded professionals in our organisation who are passionate about building the profile of a movement that will change the face of this country.
Find and create opportunities to raise awareness of the power communities have to address local issues, through the strongest stories of community businesses and the evidence we have built. Focus on the sectors and places in which we operate.
Cement our growing reputation as a leading authority on, and catalyst for the power of community businesses through well-chosen communications platforms for the organisation’s leadership and wider team.
Identify and create opportunities with the greatest potential to forge and strengthen networks and amplify the collective voice of community businesses.
Use communications to help dismantle the barriers and facilitate the growth of community businesses so that local people can genuinely tackle local economic decline from the bottom up.
Position Power to Change as ‘more than a funder’ and an innovator in its field. This will widen the options for our legacy and help tell the story of community business better.
- 5 years’ minimum experience of executing impactful media campaigns and building relationships with media
- Managing external agencies as a key resource
- Experience of communication through multiple media channels with proven success across the mix
- Experience of using a media monitoring service e.g. Gorkana, Precise
- Experience of briefing senior colleagues up to CEO level in preparation for media interviews and speech writing
- Experience of driving change and influencing opinion through media campaigns
- We will consider applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds within communications including experience of working in start-ups, SMEs, local regeneration, as well as charities. Experience can be agency or client side, private or social sector
- Exposure to the commercial sector and/or sound understanding of it
- WordPress for updating our website
- Public affairs
- Experience as a spokesperson
- Exceptional writing skills and spoken English
- Empathy for community businesses and what they are trying to achieve
- The confidence and enthusiasm to sell in our bold and radical agenda for the community business movement in a face-to-face situation, on the phone or in writing
- Prepared for crisis management
- Ability to think on your feet and love the pressure that comes with the territory
- A consultative approach to projects
- Good analytical skills to synthesise research reports for outward consumption
- Excellent communication skills with a wide-range of stakeholders ranging from the owner of a community pub to a senior politician
- Excellent attention to detail and proof reading skills
- Ability to work with and advise at all levels internally and externally and build excellent relationships
- Tenacity, resilience and a “can do attitude”; able to adapt to a changing landscape, overcome challenges and remain solutions-focused
- Comfortable working as part of a small, focused team as well as on their own initiative
- Highly organised with the ability to manage multiple projects at once
- The creativity to spot a good story or opportunity
- An interest in, and understanding of, current affairs and how that plays into the world of community business