Volunteer & Friendship Coordinator
Volunteer & Friendship Coordinator
The Silver Line is the UK’s only free, confidential, 24-hour helpline for vulnerable and isolated older people available every day and night of the year. Since launching nationally in November 2013 we have received over 1.7m calls, some simply to say “goodnight”. We have also recruited and trained 4000 volunteers as Silver Line Friends who make weekly calls to older people, or exchange a letter.
Purpose of the role
Working as part of our team of coordinators, you will be an integral link in supporting volunteers and older people. You will be the first point of contact for volunteers who register an interest with us as well as providing on-going administrative support to volunteers and older people.
Reporting to the Head of Volunteer Engagement, you will play a key part in the recruitment and retention of Silver Line volunteers. You will work closely with the wider team to ensure we have effective and responsive systems in place and put these systems into practice.
Main duties & responsibilities
- Carry out all required administration and support in relation to the recruitment, training and retention of volunteers.
- Deal with volunteering enquiries, by email and phone, ensuring that all potential volunteers are provided with the necessary information to enable them to make an informed decision about volunteering with The Silver Line.
- Be committed to The Silver Line’s equal opportunities policy to volunteering by being as accommodating as possible with all volunteer enquiries.
- Be responsible for volunteering email inboxes, ensuring that volunteers are communicated with in a timely and professional manner.
- Support volunteers through their application journey for all volunteering roles, acting within agreed timescales.
- Effectively coordinate the booking systems for volunteer interviews and training, and conduct volunteer interviews and training sessions as required, highlighting any areas of concern to a relevant manager.
- Be responsible for the coordination of the volunteer referencing processes and provide support in the administration of Disclosure and Barring Checks.
- Update and maintain the CRM database system and provide administrative and other identified support across our Wellbeing and Letters teams.
- Ensure that all existing volunteers have access to necessary information in order to be fully supported in their role including helping to develop and disseminate volunteer information including newsletters and updates.
Key skills and experience
You will need:
- Demonstrable experience of working in an administrative role
- Exceptional administrative and organisational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- To be proficient at using databases and MS Office applications
- The ability to work in a pressurised but exciting environment
- To be able to work as part of a team, with a flexible and open approach
- The ability to work to tight deadlines and timeframes
- To manage and prioritise own workload with the ability to use initiative, maintaining high standards
- An understanding of volunteering and the issues that impact on the management of volunteers.
Values and behaviours
- An understanding of and commitment to the work and values of The Silver Line.
- An empathy and understanding of the issues that affect older people.
- A passion for tackling the stigma of isolation and loneliness.
- A commitment to the role of supporting older people and volunteers.
- A proven ability to demonstrate a high degree of personal integrity, self-determination and honesty.
This post will be based in our London office; some travel may be required on occasions.
Apply for Volunteer & Friendship Coordinator
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly