The Silver Line is the UK’s only free, confidential, 24-hour helpline for vulnerable and isolated older people available every day and night of the year. Since launching nationally in November 2013 we have received over 1.7m calls, some simply to say “goodnight”. We have also recruited and trained 4000 volunteers as Silver Line Friends who make weekly calls to older people, or exchange a letter.
We created the Silver Letters scheme for people who are hearing impaired, and would like a Silver Line Friend, as well as those who just prefer the written word.
Silver Letters are a regular exchange of correspondence between an older person and a Silver Line Friend.
Purpose of the role
Working as part of the Silver Line team you will be an integral link in supporting volunteers and older people to make sure they have rewarding, lasting friendships.
Your key duties will involve providing administrative support to the Silver Letters service and to the wider volunteer and friendship service.
Main duties & responsibilities
- Carry out administration and support in relation to Silver Letters and our volunteer and friendship service as directed.
- Carry out administration and support in relation to Silver Letters, including: managing the exchange of friendship correspondence; updating admin databases; ensuring letter correspondence is appropriate and within set boundaries; working efficiently and effectively to ensure the provision of an excellent service.
- Support the coordination of elements of the Silver Letters service, including: chasing outstanding friendship correspondence; being the first point of contact for friendship queries; and handling low level queries and issues related to Silver Letter friendships.
- Deal with volunteering enquiries as required, by email and phone, ensuring that all potential volunteers are provided with the necessary information to enable them to make an informed decision about volunteering with The Silver Line.
- Proficiently manage email inboxes as required, ensuring that people are communicated with in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensure CRM records are updated after every correspondence and that confidentiality and data protection procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure that relevant issues, including safeguarding, are escalated to your manager as appropriate.
- Ensure that any additional needs identified are signposted through the established systems, including making referrals to Silver Connects.
- As required by your manager provide support to all friendship service elements, working with the wider friendship team to ensure that effective and responsive systems are in place.
- Adhere and deliver to best practice and the Silver Line policies and procedures, including adhering to confidentiality and data protection practice and safeguarding policies.
- Carry out any other duties as required by your manager and/or The Silver Line.
Key skills and experience
You will need:
- Demonstrable experience of working in an administrative role, with exceptional administrative and organisational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in using databases and MS Office applications
- The ability to work in a pressurised but exciting environment
- The ability to work as part of a team, with a flexible and open approach
- The ability to work to tight deadlines and timeframes
- To manage and prioritise own workload with the ability to use initiative, maintaining high standards
- An understanding of volunteering and the issues that impact on the management of volunteers.
- The ability to deal with highly emotional situations, in a sensitive and non-judgmental manner, whilst conforming to The Silver Line’s confidentiality, safeguarding and data protection procedures.
Values and behaviours
- An understanding of and commitment to the work and values of The Silver Line.
- An empathy and understanding of the issues that affect older people.
- A passion for tackling the stigma of isolation and loneliness.
- A commitment to the role of supporting older people and volunteers.
- A proven ability to demonstrate a high degree of personal integrity, self-determination and honesty.
This post will be based in our London office; some travel may be required on occasions.