Strategic Grants Lead
Who are we?
The London Marathon Charitable Trust is an independent grant making charity. We provide grants for facilities and opportunities that remove barriers to participation in physical activity and that inspire and enable more people to be more active, more often. Founded alongside the London Marathon in 1981, the majority of our income comes from the profits generated by our trading company, London Marathon Events Limited, which organises some of the biggest and best mass-participation sports events in the UK, including the Virgin Money London Marathon and Prudential RideLondon. The Trust’s income is growing and we will be distributing more than £10m per year. The total value of grants awarded by The Trust since its founding in 1981 is now over £68 million to more than 1,220 projects. Information about The Trust may be found on our website: www.lmct.org.uk
We are looking to recruit a full time Lead for our new Strategic Grants programme that will distribute ca. £5m a year to deliver large scale, high impact nationwide initiatives to encourage and support people of all backgrounds to take part in physical activity. For the next five years, The Trust’s strategic, proactive programme will focus on removing barriers to participation for children and young people, as well as those from under represented audiences. A significant part of the role will be identifying and developing partnerships with others who can deliver these objectives on a national scale. We are looking for someone with the skills, experience and passions to lead our small and evolving strategic grants programme to maximise the impact of these grants both in our core areas of London & Surrey and nationally. A new strategy for The Trust means that at the same time we will be expanding our reactive grantmaking in London and Surrey through a £5m annual programme for facilities.
The main responsibilities of the Strategic Grants Lead are:
- To lead the strategic grants programme, identifying, initiating and supporting high calibre partnerships and ensuring that funded projects maximise their ability to deliver our objectives
- To design and oversee calls for proposals
- To oversee and contribute to the assessment of proposals on their feasibility, likely impact and sustainability and to make recommendations to the Trustees
- To oversee the implementation of projects
- To lead the monitoring and evaluation of the impact of The Trust’s strategic funding
- To lead the development and maintenance of relationships with key strategic partners with national reach
Skills and Experience
- Experience initiating high impact partnership programmes
- Experience of both capital and revenue projects, sports development or multiagency investment programmes
- Experience of working with a small staff team
- Experience of managing or overseeing large scale budgets
- Experience of strategic planning within a relevant environment
- Knowledge of planning regulations and the sporting environment
- Knowledge and experience of grantmaking processes
- Extensive knowledge and experience of monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, advocacy and influencing skills
- Excellent IT skills
- High levels of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proactive, creative self-starter with an ability to build partnerships with a range of stakeholders, internal and external, including senior staff, grantees, Trustees, policy makers and practitioners
- An interest in charitable activity and the work of The Trust
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A team player with an ability to work flexibly in a busy environment
- A helpful and friendly attitude and demeanour
The role requires some evening and weekend working, including at events organised by London Marathon Events Limited.
Closing date for applications: 23 March 2018. We anticipate that interviews will be held during the weeks of 26 March and 2 April.