Community Fundraising Manager
Responsible: Director of Fundraising
Location: London office
Salary: up to £34k
Direct Reports: None
The Silver Line is the UK’s only free, confidential, 24-hour helpline for vulnerable and isolated older people available every day and night of the year. Since launching nationally in November 2013 we have received more than 1.75m calls, some simply “to say goodnight”. We have also recruited and trained over 4000 volunteers as Silver Line Friends who make weekly calls to older people, or exchange a letter. Our helpline and friendship operations are now well established; in October 2016 we completed a major project to open a new helpline office in Blackpool with 170 staff. The Silver Line has moved into its next phase of development - to grow further awareness and dependable, sustainable income from new sources to allow delivery of our ambitious plans, and to support the operational growth and expansion of the charity’s activities including the development of a national network of regional volunteer hubs. The establishment of a strong community presence and income comprises an essential component to support this, with our fifth birthday year giving us a platform upon which to roll out new opportunities in communities throughout the UK.
Based in our head office, you will manage community fundraising across the country, developing our donors, supporters, and awareness raising opportunities through the building of an active volunteer base. Starting with the roll out of two large community based projects, our aim is to generate a country wide campaign to raise £1m in recognition of our fifth birthday, culminating in a national event in May 2019. Whilst we have an army of volunteers who are already supporting older people through friendship, or who participate in local awareness raising activities, we now need to galvanise their support to access wider community opportunities which drive ongoing future support.
Success depends upon being able to communicate meaningfully about our work, inspiring individuals, and also key to this is managing accurate database records. The post holder should enjoy contacting potential supporters, feeling able and confident to ‘make the ask’. The role requires good organisational and time management skills.
Key Relationships: Fundraising Team, Nations and Regional Volunteer Managers, Volunteer Administration Team
• Establish and build a comprehensive programme of community fund and awareness raising throughout the UK through recruiting and developing new community supporters and volunteers including individuals, organisations, and groups
• Proactively work with the regional managers in ways that encourage and support them in all activities to find, develop and foster new awareness and fundraising supporters and community groups
• Establish excellent supporter care to develop and maintain relationships which motivates them to increase their support
• Work alongside the Director of Fundraising, to develop, manage and report on income/expenditure budgets together with non-financial KPIs
• Ensure the marketing and widespread distribution of centrally developed support and training materials, to drive consistency and test opportunities
• Establish a comprehensive performance management framework for community fundraising and awareness raising activities ensuring their cost effectiveness andmaintenance of minimum ROIs
• Personally achieve a community fundraising target through the delivery of two new fifth birthday year initiatives
• Facilitate supporters involvement with a dynamic, relevant and creative choice of how they fundraise for The Silver Line
• Research opportunities and ensure you are well placed to take advantage of emergent ones, to raise income and grow relationships with potential and existing supporters
• Work collaboratively across the fundraising and other teams team to drive other opportunities e.g. corporate partnership leads, involvement in challenge events, legacy opportunities, volunteering etc.
• Proactively use the fundraising database to develop and manage supporter relationships ensuring that accurate, up to date financial and records are maintained and accessible
• Manage the national delivery of Silver Week (annual May fundraising week) across all communities to achieve annual fundraising targets and grow income by introducing new local events, such as a planned new national walking event in 2019.
• Keep up-to-date with all community fundraising market and regulatory developments
• Actively promote The Silver Line’s key messages
• Significant demonstrable experience of success in a community fundraising role
• Demonstrable experience of securing, developing, and growing new community fundraising supporters, groups and income
• Experience of financial management including budgeting and forecasting
• Experience of working with a geographically dispersed team, and able to demonstrate driving successful growth in fundraising and awareness raising accordingly
• Demonstrable excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Experience of developing supporter relationships, providing exemplary stewardship at all times
• Substantial experience of personally recruiting and managing volunteers
• A good understanding of the marketing mix, including digital
Personal qualities and skills
• Strong negotiation, decision making and influencing skills
• Ability to generate commercially viable, innovative ideas
• Effective planning and time management skills.
• Ability to multi-task and work effectively under pressure, managing changing priorities whilst maintaining excellent and scrupulous attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the confidence and ability to collaborate with and present to contacts at all levels of seniority both internally and externally
• Excellent presentation skills
• Demonstrable customer service skills
• Ability to take initiative
Values and Behaviours
• An understanding of and commitment to the work and values of The Silver Line, and an ability to demonstrate those values in their work
• An empathy and understanding of the issues that affect older people
• Passionate about tackling the stigma of isolation and loneliness
• A proven ability to demonstrate high degree of personal integrity, self-determination and honesty
• Energetic, self-motivated with high standards and an appropriate professional image
• Commitment to the aims of the service and The Silver Line vision
Please email your CV to Mary at RecruitmentLON@thesilverline.org.uk.
Apply for Community Fundraising Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly