Senior Digital Communications Officer
Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage is recruiting a Senior Digital Communications Officer to join the Communications team in the Girls Not Brides office in London. Girls Not Brides brings together over 900 civil society organisations (our members), in more than 95 countries throughout Africa, South Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas.
We are looking for a creative and innovative person with great experience across all aspects of digital – web, social, and email marking –to play a critical role in helping to take our digital presence to the next level. Your digital expertise and know-how will bring our story-telling to life and increase engagement with our members and other supporters. The role reports directly to the Head of Communications.
- Develop and implement Girls Not Brides’ digital approach/strategy in line with strategic objectives and ensure that digital innovation and best practice are embedded across the organisation
- Develop the editorial content plan for all digital channels and ensure it is co-ordinated and integrated
- Manage on-going development and improvement of the Girls Not Brides websites, providing a continually improved user journey
- Manage the strategic use of our social media channels, tracking trends and opportunities for engagement
- Oversee our email marketing initiatives
- Provide regular reporting and analysis across our various digital channels, using the information gained to improve our digital channels and user experiences
- Identify and test new digital ways to strengthen member engagement, learning and member participation in the Partnership
- Strengthen and streamline our digital content governance
- Build the digital skills and knowledge of the team
- Support and oversee the day-to-day digital work of the Communications Assistant.
Accountability: Head of Communications
Salary range: £35,000-£42,000, depending upon experience, plus a generous benefits package
Duties and responsibilities
Digital approach / strategy
- Develop the Girls Not Brides’ digital approach/strategy liaising closely with and supported by the Head of Communications; input into other strategies, making sure digital is embedded in everything we do
- Make digital a cornerstone of member engagement and building a participatory, dynamic partnership by trialling new and innovative digital tools and platforms
- Continually work to improve user experience across all channels, advising on user experience best practice
- Strengthen our digital and content governance, consolidating workflows and rooting our work in analytics.
Editorial content and planning
- Plan the content calendar liaising closely with and supported by the Head of Communications, the Communications Assistant and the rest of the team
- Source potential stories and identify compelling voices and great storytelling through regular engagement with Girls Not Brides staff and members
- Coordinate and edit blogs, news, and other articles from members, partners and the Girls Not Brides team, with the support of the Communications Assistant. Draft and edit content as required
- Develop compelling digital content, including articles, news items, blogs, social media assets, etc.
- Measure the impact of content across our digital channels, making sure the content is on brand and follows best practice; keep track of latest trends and adapt our approach where required
- Support the Communications Assistant in developing digital content and editing for the web.
Website management and development
- Develop and implement Girls Not Brides’ website plan (as part of the digital approach / strategy), liaising closely with and supported by the Head of Communications
- Plan and lead on the continued development of Girls Not Brides’ websites, ensuring that they adhere to the brand guidelines
- Liaise with web agencies as a primary point of contact and ensure that all development work is planned and carried out within agreed budget and timescales
- Ensure content is relevant, up-to-date and on brand at all times, and reflects the latest digital trends and best practice
- Track and analyse traffic to the Girls Not Brides website; identify ways to reach key audiences and increase brand visibility, including Search Engine Optimisation and advertising
- Work with the Communications Assistant to ensure ongoing maintenance of the website, including content upload and bug fixes.
Social media management and development
- Develop and implement a social media plan (as part of the digital approach / strategy) liaising closely with and supported by the Head of Communications, and the Communications Assistant
- Oversee Girls Not Brides’ presence across all social media channels, ensuring all messaging is coherent across channels, on brand, and meets our strategic goals
- Track and analyse Girls Not Brides social media presence
- Develop social media assets including videos and oversee the development of assets and other digital work produced by the Communications Assistant, including social media monitoring, community engagement, analytics reports, etc.
- Support members’ social media engagement and capacity.
Email marketing and planning
- Plan and coordinate email marketing campaigns from the Girls Not Brides secretariat
- Ensure our email marketing tools are fit for purpose and follow the latest trends and best practice
- Measure and track email performance and engagement
- Produce the monthly Global newsletter with the support of the Communications Assistant
- Support the rest of the team in writing impactful emails and understanding email marketing, with the support of the Communications Assistant.
Training and support across the organisation
- Work with the team to identify digital skills gaps and develop and implement training to fill those gaps.
- As an integral part of a small Communications team, assist with developing communications products, leading on digital products and liaising with service providers to ensure high quality
- Any other duties assigned by the Head of Communications.
- Expertise in website and social media development & management and email marketing with a strong understanding of how digital can help achieve the organisations strategic priorities
- Proven experience of managing a CMS (WordPress)
- Proven experience of developing engaging and accessible content for a website/s and for multiple social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linked in etc.)
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills and proven experience of producing copy for a variety of different online audiences
- Proven experience of email marketing newsletters and campaigns
- Proven experience of managing web and other external agencies
- A strong understanding of SEO principles and how to apply these to new and existing web content
- Proven experience of achieving results through web, social media channels and email marketing and using different tactics and tools to reach different audiences
- Proven experience of using analytical software to track digital performance and campaigns, create reports and provide insights for learning
- Up to date on digital developments and trends
- Proficiency in recent versions of Microsoft Office suite, experience of using MailChimp, Google Analytics, SproutSocial (or other similar tools), knowledge of Salesforce and Basecamp desirable
- A creative, fast learner with an innovative approach to problem solving
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise a dynamic workload in a busy office environment
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Meticulous attention to detail
- An understanding and passion for Girls Not Brides’ work.
- Design and image manipulation skills for example, experience of using Photoshop, illustrator, InDesign etc.
- Experience of producing short videos for online
- Experience of working for a membership organisation
- Written and spoken French or Spanish - highly desirable.
At Girls Not Brides we are committed to the well-being, empowerment and rights of children and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will be expected to adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
How to apply
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to recruitment@GirlsNotBrides.org by 23:00 GMT on Tuesday, 20 March 2018 clearly stating “Senior Digital Communications Officer” and your name in the subject line. We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We expect that first round phone interviews will take place in the week of the 19th March and that 2nd round interviews will take place in the week of the 26th March.