Membership Officer - Full Time / Part Time / Flexible
£8.00 per hour (guaranteed) with uncapped commission – OTE £20-25K pa
Wambrook, Chard, Somerset, with travel to events across Devon, Dorset and Somerset
An exciting opportunity has arisen within our busy Fundraising and Marketing team. The successful candidate will be an ambassador for Ferne Animal Sanctuary, and will inspire members of the public to become a Friend of Ferne, by supporting the Sanctuary with a regular monthly donation.
Interested candidates will be able to demonstrate previous sales, customer-service, fundraising and/or face-to-face experience. You will be a confident communicator, able to build an instant rapport with the members of the public you meet. This role will involve working across a wide variety of offsite venues/locations such as county & agricultural shows, garden centres, shopping centres and retail stores, and also at Ferne events.
Due to the location and the role it is essential you have a full clean UK driving licence and have access to a vehicle for business use, for which a mileage allowance will be paid. A company van will be available for larger events where a trade stand is required.
The post-holder will need to have a reasonable level of fitness and mobility and be able to set up stands and display boards, spend time outside and sometimes work on uneven terrain.
Job Title: Membership Officer
Department: Fundraising and Marketing
Responsible to: Fundraising Manager
Overview of the Organisation
Set in 52 acres of glorious Somerset countryside, high in the Blackdown Hills, Ferne Animal Sanctuary has been saving the lives of unwanted and abandoned animals for over 75 years. We provide refuge for domestic animals, farm animals and horses. We work hard to rehome the cats and dogs that find their way into our care, other animals remain at Ferne to enjoy the rest of their lives in the peace and tranquillity that the Sanctuary offers.
Main purpose of the role
The post holder will be responsible for recruiting new Friends of Ferne supporters for the Sanctuary. Key to this role is having the skills and ability to inspire passion in others for the work of Ferne so they are motivated to give a monthly donation to help support the animals in our care.
- To recruit new Friend of Ferne supporters to Ferne Animal Sanctuary to agreed targets.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to pro-actively engage with the public to motivate them to support with a monthly donation.
- Encourage new supporters to sign a gift aid declaration.
- Responsible for the collection and safeguarding of supporters’ personal details in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
- Aid Friend of Ferne retention by engaging in a positive way with our supporters.
- The enthusiasm to maintain current knowledge of our work through our website, social media platforms, publications and regular meetings with the Ferne team.
- Raise awareness of Ferne Animal Sanctuary throughout Devon, Dorset & Somerset.
- Ensure all fundraising equipment is maintained and kept in good condition.
- Ability to work closely with the Fundraising Manager & individual Giving Officer to maximise Friend of Ferne recruitment opportunities.
- Represent Ferne Animal Sanctuary in a professional and informed manner at all times, whether engaging with members of the public, staff & volunteers, or any other supporters.
This is an outline of the post-holder’s duties and responsibilities. It is not intended as an exhaustive list and may change from time to time in order to meet the changing needs of the charity. This reflects approximately 80% of tasks and duties.
Skills & Experience
Good standard of education - GCSE or equivalent grade C or above required in Maths and English.
Knowledge and Experience
- Previous experience in either fundraising, sales, customer service or a face-to-face environment, with proven demonstrable ability to meet the job requirements
- A keen understanding and belief in the mission of Ferne Animal Sanctuary
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to build a rapport with members of the public
- Be comfortable working towards a target
- The confidence to talk to a diverse group of people to effectively communicate the work of the Sanctuary
- The ability to work under pressure to meet targets and KPI’s
- Ability to work under own initiative, managing own workload and working collaboratively
- Be passionate and enthusiastic about the work of Ferne Animal Sanctuary
- Attention to detail
Conditions of Employment
Hours: Flexible (based on a minimum of 3 days a week, equivalent to no less than 156 days per annum). Due to the nature of the position, hours will be determined by a seasonal programme of events, which may include some weekends, and it is anticipated that you will not exceed 5 days a week during the peak summer season. Working hours will be agreed with the Fundraising Manager at least one month in advance. The sanctuary operates a TOIL policy not paid overtime.
Holidays: 28 days per annum inclusive of bank holidays pro rata. Holiday scheme - after two years full service holidays rising at a rate of 1 day per year; capping at 25 days.
Salary: £8.00 per hour (guaranteed) with uncapped commission paid on the number of new members recruited for whom we successfully draw payment.
Application forms must be sent to Stuart Lees at firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date: Wednesday 14th March 2018 Subject to Basic DBS Check.