Provide leadership to MapAction of its finance function, enabling the effective use, reporting and accounting of its resources, and working as a member of MapAction's management team to give strategic leadership to the organisation.
MapAction (mapaction.org) is a UK registered charity providing humanitarian responders with geographic products such as maps, to inform decision making in aid delivery. We do this by deploying skilled volunteers to humanitarian emergencies to map the situation after a disaster or during a conflict. A team of 80 volunteers, 13 staff and 12 trustees work together to deliver this mission.
Funds are raised from institutional donors such as the UK’s Department for International Development, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the US’s Office for Disaster Assistance, as well as from trusts and foundations, private individuals, and corporations. HRH Prince Henry of Wales has been the charity’s patron since 2007.
Following the successful delivery of the organisation’s first strategy since 2014, we are at an exciting stage of the charity’s evolution with a new five year strategy to be developed for 2019.
- You will lead the finance function of the organisation ensuring the optimum use and accounting of financial resources within statutory and donor requirements. As a member of the management team, you will share overall strategic leadership with others to support the Charity’s purpose to provide geographical information to humanitarian responders.
- Financial control, budget management and reporting:
- Preparation of the annual budget for Board approval in consultation with the Chief Executive and Treasurer, including ensuring annual quarterly forecasting of planned expenditure. Subsequent re-forecasting of outturn during the year.
- Preparation of monthly management accounts for the management team and monitoring budget expenditure on a quarterly basis with budget holders.
- Close monitoring of cash-flow, including forecasting income and expenditure movements.
- Preparation of quarterly Board finance reports (including narrative) for approval and submission by the Treasurer.
- Preparation of annual accounts for annual audit and liaison with auditors before, during and after audit process.
- Presentation of annual statutory accounts for Board approval in consultation with the charity’s auditors, Chief Executive and Treasurer.
- In coordination with other Finance Staff, ensure that all financial obligations are paid in a timely manner.
Donor contract management
- Coordinate with the Fundraising Team in preparing budgets for fundraising applications.
- Prepare financial reports as required for submission to funders to release and account for payments.
- Prepare information for donor audit as required.
- Construct budget and financial system coding to ensure that donor agreements are properly reflected in accurate financial recording and reporting.
Risk management and compliance
- Ensuring MapAction is compliant with UK Law (including in relation to human resource management, payroll, health and safety and statutory filing requirements).
- Overseeing the financial elements of the organisation’s Risk Register and on behalf of the Chief Executive ensuring that all identified mitigation plans across functions are being implemented.
- Review financial procedures and policies and ensure these are up to date, relevant and implemented. Management
- Be part of MapAction’s management team supporting the Chief Executive in providing strategic leadership to the organisation. As part of the management team, provide guidance and advice on strategic developments, expansion of deployments, projects and the nature of the business ensuring the resource needs of the organisation are considered fully in planning and risk management.
- Line manage the Finance Officer/Manager
- Oversee payroll and the implementation of the charity’s pension scheme, ensuring issues are addressed, documentation issued and the charity meets HMRC and other statutory requirements.
- Support the development of the charity’s commercial revenue arm as required.
- Provide training to the wider team when required.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable track record of highly successful financial management and experience working with small charities and limited resources. You will be tenacious, able to manage a busy workload and comfortable working under your own initiative. You are always a team player at heart and a confident leader capable of guiding the organization on all aspects of finance, compliance and risk. You will draw on your excellent interpersonal skills to be able to target and adapt your approach according to your audience. Excellent communication skills are essential (written and verbal), along with a strong eye for detail. We are looking for someone with a talent for financial systems management to achieve maximum benefit to the charity. You will need to be supportive of colleagues (staff, trustees and volunteers), committed to the volunteer ethic of the organisation and show sensitivity to the needs of others.
If you are an exceptional professional with a passion for providing financial leadership in the charity section, and are a keen team player who values volunteering and excellence and can support the implementation of rigorous procedures whilst helping others deliver on their role, then we are looking for you.
How to apply
Please send a covering letter and CV setting out your interest in the role and how you meet the required competencies to email@example.com. For further discussion regarding the content of this role, please call Liz Hughes, Chief Executive on 01494 568 899.
Application deadline: 9:00am on Monday 22nd January 2018.
Interviews: These will be held Tuesday 30th January 2018 at our offices in Saunderton, Buckinghamshire.