Director of Business Support
Qualified Accountant required for the post of
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS SUPPORT
THE BRITISH GERIATRICS SOCIETY
Office based in Farringdon, London EC1
Remuneration package: c. £55,000 per annum plus generous pension contribution (11% of gross salary)
Hours of work: negotiable, either 4 or 5 days per week
Closing date for applications: 12 noon on Monday 4 December 2017
Interviews for shortlisted applicants: Thursday 14th December in central London
The British Geriatrics Society is the professional membership organisation for doctors and other health professionals specialising in the care of older people. The society is a registered charity and limited company. Our charitable mission is to improve the healthcare of older people across the UK.
This is a very exciting time to be joining the British Geriatrics Society. We are celebrating our 70th anniversary, have completed a period of expansion of the staff team, and undertaken a rebranding process. We have enhanced our policy influence, seen a huge increase in our social media impact, and are planning a new website. Our scientific meetings have gone from strength to strength. We have an expanding membership of over 3,400 specialist consultants, junior doctors, GPs, nurses, medical students, researchers and allied health professionals involved in the healthcare of older people with frailty or other complex needs. We have an annual turnover of £1.4 million. Our office is in Farringdon, a vibrant area in central London where we employ 11 staff, and we also have Councils in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England.
We wish to recruit a fully UK-qualified Accountant with substantial post-qualification experience for this senior management position, which may be filled full-time or part-time.
- You will be a one-person Finance Department (we will assess the need for part-time support in 2018). You will manage all aspects of the finances of the society and our trading arm, BGS (Trading) Ltd., including the annual audit. You will advise on medium- and long-term financial strategies
- One of a three-person senior management team, working closely with and reporting directly to the Chief Executive
- You will help ensure that the charity uses its resources optimally
- In time, you will oversee our customer relationship management system, CiviCRM, ensuring we get the most from the system.
- UK-qualified accountant with substantial and successful post qualification experience
- At least two year’s experience of lead responsibility for managing the finance function of a UK charity or membership organisation of similar size
- Extensive experience of financial audit, either as an independent auditor or through preparing complete audit files, financial statements and notes for independent audit
- Some senior management experience within a charity, membership organisation or similar
- Fully competent using the Sage 50 accounting software package
- Experience of overseeing CRM systems is desirable but not essential
- Must enjoy working in a small team, and a very varied and busy workload, with a full range of responsibilities from the strategic to the routine.
Please visit our website www.bgs.org.uk to download the Applicants’ Information Pack for the job description, person specification and how to apply.
No recruitment agency enquiries, please