Director of Finance and Resources
Beat is the UK’s leading eating disorders charity, supporting people affected by eating disorders since 1989. Beat exists to provide hope and improve life for anyone affected by an eating disorder. Beat has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past two years, with a new, ambitious strategy and a new leadership team. They are now helping five times more people with eating disorders and have started new campaigns for more NHS funding and greater government priority for this serious mental illness.
Beat is seeking to appoint a new Director of Finance and Resources, who will focus on ensuring that Beat has the Finance, HR, Facilities and IT services necessary to deliver its mission and achieve its strategic goals. Reporting directly to the CEO and as part of the Executive team, the post will play an important role in the leadership and management of Beat at Executive level and is a vital role in securing their future success. The successful candidate will be a dynamic leader who shares Beat’s ambition and who is inspired by the opportunity to help shape the future of the organisation and the people they serve.
Key tasks include:
- Develop, lead and manage the Finance department, ensuring delivery of Beat’s objectives and being accountable for the department budget and optimum utilisation of resources.
- Be collectively accountable as part of the Executive team for leading and managing Beat, deputising for the Chief Executive when necessary.
- Plan and forecast the financial performance of Beat to ensure long-term financial viability and support the development of Beat’s strategy.
- Review strategies and business plan to ensure financial efficiency.
- Design and assure financial reports and annual accounts which meet the information needs of the Finance Committee, Trustees and Executive Committee.
- Ensure that financial processes and controls are efficient and aligned to regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that risk management, business continuity and data protection policies and processes are of the standard necessary to protect effective operation.
- Plan and coordinate the annual budget setting process, and ensure effective finance business
- Ensure that Beat has the premises & facilities, IT systems and HR services needed to support effective functioning of all their operations.
- Act as Company Secretary.
The role is based in Norwich, with regular travel to London where Beat also has a small office, and occasional travel elsewhere in the UK.
The ideal candidate must have at least five years’ senior experience of working successfully in a finance leadership role, ideally in the charity sector.
You must also have:
- Professional level qualification (e.g. ACA, ACCA).
- Experience of producing accounts compliant with the Charities SORP.
- Experience of developing and monitoring the implementation of strategies, budgets and operational plans.
- The ability to build and lead a highly cohesive and high performing team based on the principles of trust, collaboration and empowerment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to convey financial information clearly and succinctly to audiences with a varied understanding of financial matters.
- Good understanding of the reporting and management requirements relating to restricted donations.
- Good understanding of VAT relating to charities.
- A high level of competence in learning and using financial software packages (ideally Iris Exchequer) as well as Excel and other Microsoft Office software.
For more information on this role please download the Candidate Information Pack.
If you would like an informal and confidential discussion about the role, please contact Melissa Baxter on 07789 985 229 or Marsha Gosling 07818 509 690.
Closing date for applications is Monday 16th October 2017.