Communications & Media Relations Manager
7 days left
- Contract Type
Communications & Media Relations Manager
The Henry Jackson Society (HJS) - a fast growing and dynamic international relations focused think tank (www.henryjacksonsociety.org) - is looking to fill the position of Communications & Media Relations Manager.
We are looking for a dynamic individual with excellent communication and campaigning skills, an understanding and experience of working with traditional and social media outlets and the ability to prioritise and multi-task. Working with the management and research team, you will conceive ideas, build connection plans and execute communication through various media channels.
This is a proactive role that will require you to build awareness, interest and support for HJS, its initiatives and its policies. This position will play a lead role in identifying and exploiting communications and media opportunities, producing material to assist with this process and managing and assisting colleagues with their own media profiles. The overall remit being to enhance the communications ability of the organisation - its media profile in particular - to opinion formers, decision makers and the general public, in the UK and internationally.
If you enjoy helping to shape the news, have a media, PR or communications background and want to grow in a new and exciting role, or take your existing experience to a new level, then we would be delighted to hear from you.
This is an exciting role that the successful candidate will see direct impact from, however, it is important to note that as a small organisation we expect the candidate to personally take charge of and handle all administrative tasks associated with the role.
- To lead HJS’s press and public relations work, writing press releases and website copy, identifying new media channels and helping HJS to establish thought leadership in its areas of work.
- To cultivate strong relationships with domestic and international press and media contacts – including journalists, bloggers, presenters, editors and producers for both print and broadcast outlets – and seek out opportunities for coverage, such as editorial/advertorial opinion articles through relevant channels, staff member quotations in news stories and appearances on broadcast media for staff members.
- To manage and extend HJS’s network of influencers and media contacts ensuring the highest standards of communication are maintained at all times.
- To introduce a campaign style focus to HJS media output.
- To work with the Events team to develop and expand HJS’s presence at events and conferences, in line with the wider communications strategy, as well as boosting attendance at events through communications improvements.
- To work with colleagues to identify key campaigning opportunities for HJS issues within the policy domain, and work with policy specialists and colleagues to exploit these to best effect.
- To ensure all time sensitive work is covered by way of social media and/or publication, to ensure no opportunity to promote HJS is missed.
- Responsible for tracking and monitoring key metrics, sharing relevant information with the management team.
- Initiate media plan approval processes and thereafter drive the consistency and integration of media efforts, ensuring the agreed processes and guidelines are followed.
- To personally maintain all communications administration including database management, uploading content, metrics reporting, distributions and liaising with suppliers.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative thinker who is highly motivated, energetic and understands the pivotal role of communications and campaigns in the strategic success of an organisation. They will have:
- Proven relevant media/PR/communications experience;
- Experience of running or participating in campaigns of some kind;
- Confident writing and speaking skills, and experience of communicating policy recommendations to a variety of audiences;
- Evidence of successful placement of news stories, op-eds and booking interviews;
- Knowledge and practical usage of social media;
- Tech savvy, with specific experience of designing material on computers preferred (e.g. Publisher, Adobe or similar products);
- Web-management skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Attention to detail, problem-solving attitude and strong organisational and project management skills;
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Ability and willingness to complete high-level tasks and low-level administrative tasks at the same time without assistance;
- Sympathy with our ideals expected.
- A personal network of media professionals is a plus
To apply, please send a CV, cover letter including salary expectations and an appendix of examples of successful media placements, and a sample of marketing material you have constructed (if available), to Dr Alan Mendoza by clicking on 'Apply' or completing the form below.
Closing date – 31st October 2017
Apply for Communications & Media Relations Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly