Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage is looking for an outstanding individual with experience of working with and strengthening civil society organisations to join its dynamic Partnership Team. The Senior Officer will work closely with Girls Not Brides National Partnerships – these are groups of civil society organisations that work collectively to end child marriage in their respective countries.
Girls Not Brides is a global partnership of more than 800 civil society organisations from over 95 countries committed to ending child marriage and enabling girls to fulfil their potential. Members are supported by a global secretariat with staff based in the UK and individual team members based in Dakar, Delhi and Nairobi.
Stronger together, Girls Not Brides members bring child marriage to global attention, build an understanding of what it will take to end child marriage, and call for the laws, policies and programmes that will make a difference in the life of millions of girls.
Based in the Girls Not Brides office in London, the successful candidate will provide capacity development and technical support to a range of civil society partnerships in different countries, as well ensure Girls Not Brides civil society members can play a meaningful role in the Global Partnership.
Duties and responsibilities
Provides critical support to strengthening Girls Not Brides National Partnerships and other networks/alliances the organisation works closely with at national levels
- National Partnership focal point for Bangladesh, Ghana, Netherlands, Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe
- Identifies and responds to the priority capacity building needs of assigned National Partnerships, and ensures appropriate follow-up to ensure impact
- Provision of/co-ordination of technical support from other Girls Not Brides teams in areas including collective working, strategic planning, programme development, strategic advocacy, coalition management and communications
- Identification and management of consultants to support with the capacity development of National Partnerships
- Supports National Partnerships to link up with strategic actors and opportunities at national and international level in pursuit of furthering common objectives
- Inputs into funding proposals for National Partnerships (either written by consultants or those developed by National Partnerships themselves)
- Ensures that Girls Not Brides National Partnerships are able to integrate young people effectively into their work
- Works with Girls Not Brides Policy focal points to develop and monitor implementation of Country Engagement Plans
- Co-manages (with the Head of Partnership Development) implementation of a Leadership Development Programme for National Partnerships
- Contributes to the development of capacity building processes, content of training workshops, tools for National Partnerships.
Leads on National Partnership engagement for the GNB Global Meeting 2018.
- Lead on organising a one-day pre-event for National Partnerships
- Lead on supporting National Partnerships for their participation in the Global Meetings, including preparing them to contribute to the programme.
Provides ad-hoc support to the growth of emerging National Partnerships
- Support the National Partnership Officer to assess and guide nascent national partnerships in West and Central Africa
- Where necessary, conduct joint fact-finding trips to new countries.
NB Oversight of West and Central Africa growth will be led by the Head of Partnership Development.
Ensures the effective capturing and dissemination of learning from Girls Not Brides National Partnerships
- Tracks progress against specific indicators for National Partnership work
- Acts as primary liaison for a range of Girls Not Brides National Partnerships in selected countries, ensuring the cultivation of strong relationships between National Partnerships and the Girls Not Brides secretariat
- Supports the effective two-way flow of information between National Partnerships and the Global Secretariat
- Directly develops and supports the documentation of best practice/lessons learned from National Partnerships – e.g. via case studies, reports
- Helps to ensure that National Partnerships are learning from each other and sharing information regularly.
Contributes to the capacity building of member organisations
- Contributes to the implementation of the Girls Not Brides capacity building plan, which targets the wider (non-National Partnership) membership.
Actively contributes to the broader work of the Partnership team:
- Works with the Senior Member Engagement Officer to ensure there are strong synergies and complementarity between the work with National Partnerships and the broader Girls Not Brides membership
- Supports the Head of Partnership Development with arranging and documenting team planning, co-ordination and reflection processes
- Supports National Partnership Officer with their work planning.
- Considerable experience of working directly with civil society actors including time spent working for a civil society organisation overseas
- Experience working with national coalitions/alliances/partnerships, preferably in different cultural contexts
- Experience in understanding needs of, and bringing together, a wide variety of organisations, including large international NGOs and grassroots community groups
- A skilled capacity builder with experience of developing training materials, commissioning, as well as directly delivering training to NGOs
- A solid understanding of programme development and project management processes
- Some experience of working with donors – either for the purposes of fundraising or managing donor-funded projects
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to work with a diverse range of actors from different cultural contexts
- Ability to build strong relationships while working remotely with civil society
- Confident networker
- Willingness to travel – sometimes at short notice
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Fluent written and spoken French is highly desirable
- Knowledge of youth engagement best practice/direct experience of working with young people
- Direct experience of working on advocacy initiatives in a developing country context;
- A sound understanding of the policy and advocacy dynamics around gender and/or youth/child rights in an international context, including understanding of some of the key players in these fields
- Knowledge of child marriage programming and/or advocacy.
At Girls Not Brides we are committed to the wellbeing, empowerment and rights of children, and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will be expected to adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
Practicalities This temporary maternity cover placement is a fixed-term position for 8 months expected to start in December 2017.
Accountability: Head of Partnership Development
Salary range: £35,000-£42,000, depending upon experience, plus a generous benefits package
How to apply
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to the Girls Not Brides recruitment email address by 23:00 GMT on Sunday, 8 October 2017 clearly stating “Senior Officer” and your name in the subject line. We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.