Head of Finance & Operations
We are looking for an exceptional individual to join our team as Head of Finance and Operations. The responsibilities will be varied and you will be closely involved in the development of the organisation, reviewing processes and systems, ensuring best practice, and generally working towards improving the efficiency of NNLS. The job will be hands-on, and will play a vital part in contributing to the development of the Synagogue; it will demand leadership skills, adaptability and the ability to work collaboratively with members of the professional and lay leadership teams alike.
- Managing our in-house finance team, and reporting on all financial matters to the Executive Director, Honorary Treasurer, the lay Finance Team and Trustees as appropriate
- In collaboration with the Honorary Treasurer and Executive Director, setting and managing the Synagogue’s annual budget
- Preparing quarterly management accounts
- Reviewing and monitoring the organisation’s financial policies and procedures and updating as appropriate
- Managing all costs to efficient levels, and negotiating and managing all supplier contracts
- Liaising with external auditors in relation to statutory accounts, and ensuring compliance with all other statutory filing requirements
- Overseeing the interface between SAGE and the membership database
- Managing membership debt collection and fee concessions, with support from lay members where appropriate
- Managing members of the office staff (the Office Administrator and Venue Hire Manager) and the facilities management team (Facilities Manager and Assistant Caretaker/Cleaner)
- Reviewing and monitoring all office administrative procedures, and updating as appropriate, to ensure highest levels of efficiency within our extremely busy community
- Negotiating and managing all facilities management contracts to ensure a safe and well maintained building; and, reporting to the Executive Director, the lay Premises Team and Trustees on building related matters as appropriate
- Being the principal office liaison with NNLS’s IT support company for any significant technical issues
- Managing the membership end of the Synagogue’s CRM database
- Maintaining the Synagogue’s DBS, data protection, and all health and safety policies, procedures and related documentation, as well as managing all professional and volunteer team training records relating to the same; intermittently reviewing NNLS’s Risk Register with the Executive Director and agreeing respective responsibilities
- Managing and tracking all staff holidays, sick leave and other miscellaneous absences; ensuring all staff contract documentation is correctly issued and maintained
- Annually overseeing the High Holyday logistics project plan working in collaboration with the Executive Director and other members of the professional staff team, and a variety of lay members with specific High Holyday responsibilities
- Managing logistics of flat rented by NNLS (including liaison with landlord and lettings agents as required, contracts associated with the flat and any cleaning and repairs required)
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Honorary Treasurer, developing and implementing an income generation strategy for the Synagogue
- Professional work experience in the field of finance, accounting and business operations
- Either a full formal accounting qualification (ACA, ACCA or CIMA) or otherwise qualified through substantial experience in a similar financial role
- Experience in production of management accounts
- Strong IT skills (including Excel, Word and Outlook) and some experience of working with CRM databases
- Track record of effectively managing team members within a professional context
- An understanding of risk management
- Excellent organisational and analytical skills
- Outstanding communication and inter-personal skills with a calm, positive and ‘can-do’ attitude
- Ability to work under pressure; a competent multi-tasker with acute attention to detail
- Prepared to undertake a wide range of tasks, a willingness to be flexible in approach to work and to work on a very hands-on basis, and an ability to work as an integral part of the team
- A willingness to work in full alignment with the principles and values of NNLS and Masorti Judaism.
- Good knowledge of the workings of a synagogue and of the various Jewish life cycle stages
- Knowledge of SAGE finance package
- Experience of managing external contractual arrangements
- Experience of liaising with external auditors
Interested candidates are welcome to contact Claire Mandel to find out more about the position.
Applications to be submitted by full CV and cover letter setting out in detail how you meet the Job Description and Person Specification, to Claire Mandel at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 4th October 2017.
Interviews will take place during week commencing 9th October 2017.