Senior Development Manager
The Sutton Trust
The Sutton Trust is the UK’s leading foundation improving social mobility through education. The Trust runs life-changing education programmes for talented young people from low and middle income homes, publishes agenda-setting research and works independently with policy-makers to ensure that the best educational opportunities are available to all young people, irrespective of their background.
The Trust has a unique way of working as a ‘do tank’, focusing its efforts in three distinct areas: programmes, research and policy. The key to the Trust’s success is strategic philanthropy – leveraging its work to ensure wider impact: whether it is generating private funding for scale-up of proven programmes, or influencing government policy and spending on education.
Development at the Sutton Trust
Over the last 4.5 years the Trust has successfully diversified its income, moving from one principal funder – the Trust’s chairman and founder, Sir Peter Lampl –to around 120 major donors, including individuals, corporates, trusts and foundations. In this time it has secured around £35million in pledges and commitments.
Now in its 20th year, the Trust has an ambitious strategy for the years ahead and growth of its fundraising is a major priority. The Senior Development Manager will have an opportunity to help expand the capacity of the fundraising team, implement new fundraising strategies and strengthen the Trust’s donor stewardship and business development.
The Trust is looking for a driven, creative and business-minded candidate to take up this role. The candidate should have the flexibility to apply their skills to a variety of different donor types, including trusts/foundation, corporates and individuals.
The Senior Development Manager will report to the Director of Development, and be supported by a Development Officer and Development Intern.
The new Senior Development Manager
- Work closely with the Director of Development on the Trust’s major-giving strategy and solicitation plans
- Help to increase the Trust’s income in line with its new strategic objectives and to reach annual targets
- Oversee and lead on the stewardship of trust, foundation and corporate partners and ensure strong supporter retention of existing partners (long term loyalty and engagement)
- Identify and develop new fundraising opportunities and partnerships with corporates, trusts and foundations, and individuals (including alumni)
- Quality assure and manage proposal writing, reporting and briefings including budget proposals
- Deal effectively, efficiently and appropriately with donors, prospects and other stakeholders; in written correspondence, face-to-face and over the telephone.
- Help to deliver a strong portfolio of fundraising literature
- Represent the Trust externally
- Manage Development-related events (such as Board meetings and small dinners)
- Support the Director of Development and line manage a Development Officer and a Development Intern
- Degree educated or equivalent
- 4(+) years’ experience working in Development
- A strong track record of securing high-level financial commitments
- A strong track record of delivering income growth
- A strong track record of soliciting and stewarding high value funders
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including networking and relationship building abilities.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication
- A confident, authoritative and approachable manner
- Close attention to detail
- Proven ability to prioritise
- A creative approach to problem solving
- A committed team player with ability to work well in a small team
- Sympathetic to the goals of the Sutton Trust
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Experience of a range of donors and senior management
- Experience of management-level responsibilities
More searches like this
- Fundraising Education Full Time jobs in London (Greater)
- Corporate Fundraising Education Full Time jobs in London (Greater)
- Events Fundraising Education Full Time jobs in London (Greater)
- Major Donor/ Gifts Education Full Time jobs in London (Greater)
- Legacies Fundraising Education Full Time jobs in London (Greater)