Training and Events Officer
Reporting to: Head of Training and Projects
Hours: Full time Monday – Friday 9.30am - 5.30pm
About Media Trust
Media Trust is a communications charity that believes in the power of media to change lives.
We do this by bringing together professionals from across the media industry and inspire them to share their communications knowledge, expertise, skills and time with charitable organisations, communities and young people.
We enjoy outstanding support from the media industry. Our corporate partners provide invaluable skilled volunteers, who offer training, content creation and mentoring. Their passion, creativity and skills help us make a huge difference to so many people across the UK.
Our media industry corporate members include: A+E Networks, adam&eveDDB, AMV BBDO, AOL, Ascential, BBC, BBH, Bloomberg, BT, Camelot, Channel 4, Clear Channel, Dentsu Aegis Network, Discovery, dmg media, Endemol Shine UK, ESI Media, Facebook, Fujitsu, Global, Google, GroupM, Guardian Media Group, Havas, Hearst Magazines UK, ITN, ITV, Maxus, MEC, Mediacom, Mindshare, m/SIX, Next15, Pearl& Dean, Posterscope, Primesight, Saatchi & Saatchi, Sky, Starcom, Talon Outdoor, TBWA, Telegraph Media Group, Time Warner, Trinity Mirror, UKTV, Viacom International Media Networks, Virgin Media, The Walt Disney Company UK & Ireland, Weber Shandwick and WPP.
Together, we have been working to improve the lives of people and communities across the UK for more than 20 years.
Description of role
You will be joining the dynamic Charity Services department, working to strengthen media and communications across the charity sector, through expert training, projects and volunteer programmes. Your time will be split between our annual training programme and bespoke training packages, building the PR, marketing, digital and content skills of charities and communities cross the UK.
This is a busy and varied role in which you will be responsible for planning, organising and facilitating Media Trust’s training programmes. You will be responsible for organising 50 half day and full day training courses a year, as well as a series of masterclasses. Experts from across the media and creative industry, lead our training, sharing their skills and insights to help charities communicate more effectively and creatively. In this role you will liaise with trainers, prepare delegate materials, facilitate sessions and attend internal and external events to build our charity client relationships.
This role also supports Media Trust’s bespoke training services, creating tailored training packages for charities across the UK. You will work closely with the Training and Projects Manager to provide logistical and administrative support for the bespoke programmes, and will be first point of contact for all training enquiries.
You will work closely with the Head of Training and Projects to develop our annual training programme; researching new and current media and communications topics and liaising with trainers. You will build strong relationships with our volunteer trainers from high profile media organisations who deliver our training on a pro bono basis including Facebook, Google, BBC and AMVBBDO.
You will have responsibility for income generation through training course sales, as well as growing existing and potential customers for Media Trust’s training programmes. You will play an active role in the marketing of Media Trust’s training programme, including developing and promoting our annual training calendar, writing copy for e-newsletters, social media and the website. You will work with volunteer trainers and the marketing team to develop relevant and interesting content for the website and look after SEO to increase the number of website visitors and encourage bookings.
We are seeking a creative, organised and experienced events professional to join the team.
- Lead business development of Media Trust’s open course training programme, ensuring income generation targets are met through ticket sales and growing and maintaining customer relationships.
- Developing Media Trust’s training offering, including suggesting and implementing innovative training and masterclass ideas, developing an annual training calendar, researching new topics, writing training descriptions and identifying new speakers to ensure courses are up-to-date and relevant.
- Managing the logistics of the open and bespoke course programmes sourcing speakers, making training packs, booking venues, arranging catering and refreshments and checking A/V equipment.
- Managing and developing customer relationships, being the first point of contact for all training enquiries, advising on courses, booking customers onto events via the Eventbrite ticket booking system and building relationships with charities at Media Trust events and external networking events.
- Managing relationships with trainers, from identifying appropriate speakers for particular courses, communicating logistics, reviewing training materials, as well as post-event feedback.
- Facilitating half-day and full-day courses, liaising with the venue, greeting and conversing with delegates, arranging refreshments, and ensuring high quality training from start to finish.
- Playing a key role in the marketing of Media Trust’s training, including writing social media and newsletter copy, maintaining the events listing and content on our website and updating the customer database.
- Maintaining all training administrative systems, including customer databases, finance and invoicing.
- Impact reporting and analysis of the performance and sales of our courses, reporting KPIs and customer feedback.
- Assisting with any other duties required by the department.
- Two years experience organising training or events essential
- Excellent planning, organisational and administration skills
- Knowledge or firsthand experience of designing and delivering training
- Excellent customer service and communication skills with the ability to establish, develop and maintain quality relationships
- Excellent writing ability, with experience with both on and offline audiences including reports
- Sales and business development experience
- Experience of establishing and managing relationships and partnerships with multiple stakeholders
- Knowledge and experience using social media to market events
- Knowledge and experience of using Wordpress and understanding SEO would be an advantage
- Passion, understanding and knowledge of the UK charity sector
- Passion and knowledge for media and communications and keeping up with the latest digital trends
- Ability to act on own initiative and work autonomously when necessary
- Friendly, confident and articulate, comfortable presenting to large groups
- Experience of impact and financial reporting and case study development
- Confident managing and developing spreadsheets and databases
- Commitment to equal opportunities and the values of the Media Trust
The above role description is a guide to the work you may be required to undertake but does not form part of your contract of employment and may change from time to time to reflect changing circumstances.
Closing Date: Friday 22 September 2017
Ideally we are looking for someone to join the team as soon as possible, and will be considering applications as and when they come in, with the option of interviews taking place before the closing date.
Media Trust values diversity and is an equal opportunities employer.
Registered charity no. 1042733