Finance and Business Manager
6 days left
- Contract Type
Vision for a Nation (VFAN) is looking for dynamic professionals with strategic vision, exceptional track records and entrepreneurial mind-sets to support its international growth.
VFAN is an award-winning UK charity. It is improving the quality of life for those with poor vision by transforming access to eye care services. This is helping people to fully contribute socially and economically to their communities.
Over the last 5 years with the support of our founder, philanthropist James Chen, together with funding from DFID, USAID and UBS Optimus Foundation we have transformed eye care in Rwanda.
Over the next 5 years VFAN has exciting plans to expand and we are growing our programmes and our team. We will be establishing new projects in Africa and Asia while exploring partnerships with global corporations to encourage them to develop eye care programmes for their staff and customers. We will also be harnessing the power of technology – by working with entrepreneurs, tech firms and innovators so that the challenge of poor vision can be addressed quickly and effectively.
We need great people to help us on this journey. You don’t need to have health, eye care or charity sector background to work with us. We need our people to be self-starters, risk takers, innovators and able to get on and work with people from many cultures and backgrounds.
This is a key post for VFAN. The Finance and Business Manager is a member of the senior management team, will attend Board meetings and is responsible for managing all financial and administrative aspects of VFAN. S/he will be responsible for all financial systems throughout the charity through effective implementation of financial policies, procedures and practices as well as ensuring effective control over VFAN’s assets. In coordination with Heads of Finance and Administration in Rwanda and other countries where VFAN will operate, s/he will ensure compliance with all legislation and donor requirements related to finance and accounting, as well as select contractual and administrative duties related to the Programme. S/he will work in close collaboration with the CEO to support both strategic financial and corporate planning as well as oversee the day-to-day financial management of the charity and its programmes.
Functions / Key Responsibilities
- Advise on all aspects of finance, human resources, IT, contracts and administration.
- Design systems and tools that promote internal and external accountability.
- Support fundraising, programme and communication activities.
- Support and oversee Country Heads of Finance and Administration (CHOFAs) in collaboration with the Country Directors, Head of Programmes.
- Administration of banking arrangements in the UK, currently at HSBC and NatWest.
- Supervise the work of the outsourced bookkeeper and payroll bureau.
- Produce consolidated monthly Management Accounts within 30 days of the month end in
- including a detailed commentary on significant variances to budget for UK and overseas.
- Lead in the annual budgeting process, providing support to the Programme and Communications Managers in the budget process, as well as consolidate the final figures for approval by the Board of Trustees.
- Prepare periodic consolidated reforecasts of income and expenditure.
- Prepare annual statutory financial reports for Companies House, Charity Commission and
- other UK regulatory bodies as required.
- Prepare audit schedules and liaise with the external auditors.
- Support the Fundraising Director in preparing reports for donors according to their
- Ensure adherence to VFAN accounting procedures, systems and internal controls.
- Ensure that the financial requirements of the Rwanda programme are met by processing
- accounts receivable and payable accurately and within the required timeframe.
- Ensure the audit trail from primary documentation to the accounting system is sufficient for accurate and prompt donor reporting and general record keeping.
- Monitor and manage risks such as fraud and potential claims faced by VFAN and report to
- the board periodically via the risk register.
- Design and carry out an internal audit programme in key risk areas.
Contracts and Administration
- Prepare and negotiate contracts with suppliers of products and services for the UK headquarters in accordance with VFAN policies for authorisation by the CEO.
- Support the Country Directors, Fundraising and Partnership Manager with Key Performance Indicators for presentation to the Board of Trustees.
- Company Secretarial duties including taking minutes at board minutes
- Data Protection – ensure compliance with the requirements of the Information Commission’s Office.
- Responsible for the management and maintenance of all UK computer systems, along with an assessment of requirements on purchase of hardware/software for Headquarters.
- Ensure that outsourced activities and relations with key providers are maintained and keep a file of maintenance and support contracts.
- Ensure IT systems and day-by-day operation compliance with VFAN’s standards and policies.
- Ensure reliable email systems and IT systems recovery in case of data loss.
- Maintain UK staff management systems, including recruitment, contracts and benefit entitlements and ensure that VFAN complies with local labour and tax law.
- Ensure that UK staff records are maintained and are consistent with payroll records.
- Ensure HR policies and procedures are implemented in the UK including the development of appropriate policy and guidance to management as required.
- Delivering Results: Self-starter and able to work independently.
- Analysis and Detail: Able to analyse financial data and produce financial forecasts.
- Working Collaboratively: Able to work closely within a small team in UK and overseas.
- Communicating and Influencing: Effective communication, both verbal and written.
- Confident presentation style to convey information to colleagues and trustees.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Adaptability and sensitivity to work in different cultural contexts.
- Tech Savvy: IT literate and comfortable using all MS Office applications.
- Time Management: Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
Recruitment Qualifications and Technical Skills
- University degree and professional accountancy qualification, e.g. ACA or CIMA.
- Experience of Quick Books and other accounting systems.
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- MBA or masters level degree.
At least 10 years’ experience, of which 5 as a senior finance executive.
Accounting experience, ideally with both an international NGO and in the private sector.
Hands-on experience of financial management, including programmes and projects.
- Worked in Africa and / or Asia.
- Fluency in spoken and written English
VFAN UK Head Office (currently in London) with regular travel to Africa and Asia.
Benefits & Remuneration
- VFAN offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package that includes flexible working, generous pension scheme contributions and annual leave allowance.
How to Apply
- Send your covering letter and CV to Sebastian.Ford@vfanf.org.
- The deadline for applications if 5pm on Friday 15th September.
For further information, please visit www.visionforanation.net/jobs
Apply for Finance and Business Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly