Employer : SPACE
FTE : 1.0
Hours of Work : Five days per week (work days and times may include some unsocial hours – TOIL given)
Salary : £30,000 - £32,000 per annum, depending on experience and skills of the candidate
Appointment term : Six months fixed term contract subject to renewal
Context of role:
SPACE (Art Services Grants Limited) is arts’ and educational charity established in 1968 and an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation. Programmes take place at our Mare Street HQ in Hackney, in the local area, in schools, Arlington homeless hostel and our new site 37 Queen Street in Colchester. We run 20 studio sites with nearly 800 artist tenants.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to play a key part in the future of an ambitious and resourceful Arts Council National Portfolio Organisation. The organisation comprises of three main departments: Properties, Programmes and Finance and Administration.
A self-motivated individual with a “hands on” approach is required to join this dynamic and long established arts organisation to contribute to its continuing success story.
Aims of the post:
To be the key contact for the day-to-day financial aspects of the organisation and to assist the Finance Director in the administration and maintenance of an effective and finance function for the Charity.
- To maintain nominal, sales and supplier ledgers on computerised accounting system (SAGE)
- To reconcile monthly all bank accounts and ensure balances are maintained within agreed overdraft limits where necessary
- To reconcile monthly rental payments received against the rental debtors’ database
- To reconcile monthly credit card accounts and post to relevant expenditure codes
- To manage the payroll function monthly and be responsible for all payments and returns to HMRC
- To manage the pension function and ensure all returns and payments are processed monthly
- To assist in the preparation of quarterly VAT returns
- To prepare supplier payment runs twice monthly as well as any ad-hoc payments deemed necessary
- To prepare and supply financial management information to budget holders to facilitate the management of their budgets.
- To prepare monthly management accounts for reporting to staff and Trustees
- To participate in the preparation of the statutory accounts and all compile relevant schedules and analyses
- To prepare and analyse monthly cashflow statements
- To manage the petty cash system; to be responsible for reimbursing staff expenses
- To manage weekly banking
- To contribute to the general running of SPACE as a member of a small team in a busy office
- To undertake duties pro-actively and work in accordance with SPACE policies, aims and objectives
- To undertake duties with an awareness of the need to promote cost effective and efficient management, taking into account your post requirements and company finance as a whole
- To maintain confidentiality agreements and to conduct yourself in a professional manner during the course of your duties.
- To demonstrate a willingness to undertake training as required for the development of the post and enhancement of the company’s skill base.
- To engage with staff and clients of SPACE in a positive and constructive manner
- To attend staff and other SPACE meetings. Some meetings and training may be held outside of normal office hours, including occasional evening and weekend activities, repaid through TOIL.
- To act in accordance with the Equal Opportunities policy and to contribute to and implement the SPACE cultural diversity strategy.
- A minimum of 18 months finance experience within the charity/voluntary sector with commercial sector awareness
- Experience of computerised accounting systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Experience of managing a small payroll function
- Effective communicator able to deal with staff, suppliers, funding bodies, Inland Revenue, Auditors and others as necessary
- Commitment to continuous improvement of the quality of financial information required by senior managers and trustees
- Self motivated team payer with the ability to work on own initiative when required
- Part qualified ACCA/CIMA
- Experience/knowledge of property/rental accounting systems
- Experience/knowledge of accounting for grants and funds from Trusts and Public bodies
- Experience working with and reporting to members of staff within a small organisations
Please download the full Job Description, Application Form and Equal Opportunities Form from our website : www.spacestudios.org.uk
Deadline for completed applications is 9am Monday 18th September 2017
Interviews are scheduled for 27th- 28th September 2017
When you send your application to us, please make sure you enclose the following:
- A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role,
- A completed Equal Opportunities form. (The information will remain confidential and is for monitoring purposes only. It will not be used in the selection process.)
- Application Form
Post: Recruitment, 129 – 131 Mare Street, London E8 3RH