ADDITIONAL TRUSTEES REQUIRED
Cycle-R was formed as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) in February 2014.
The purpose of Cycle-R is fourfold:
1) Through the recycling of donated bicycles Cycle-R provide training, qualifications and work experience to long term unemployed and youth groups of varying types with the aim of actually getting them back into work.
2) Cycle-R provide low cost, high quality refurbished bicycles to low-income families and persons who may need them.
3) Cycle-R will encourage cycling as a sport in and around Cannock. Including the provision and maintenance of facilities for bicycling in and around Cannock.
4) Cycle-R supports the local ecology by providing recycling facilities for items that would otherwise be scrapped
As a guide, the accomplishments of Cycle-R since inception are:
11 helped into full time employment
12 gained formal qualifications
72 volunteers offered positions
4 apprenticeships completed and offered full time roles
4 apprenticeships currently under-way (2 with disabilities)
2 undergoing advanced mechanic training
1 long term, medical, unemployed offered a role as full time mechanic within the organisation
4 people with SENs trained and offered formal qualifications
8 further students with SEN’s from a local special school in training
Ad-hoc training offered into 2 schools covering 100 students
The sale of over 450 bikes to those within a disadvantaged situation
Cycle-R has recently become a delivery for the Building Better Opportunities project, a £140,000 grant over 3 years to deliver training to 87 people who are furthest from the job market.
The Board of Trustees currently consists of 3 members:
Russ Taylor – Operations and IT
Richard Lawrence – Sales and Marketing, Fundraising
Mandy Taylor – Social Support and Inclusion
There are 2 managers
Barbara Janiak – General Manager, Administrator
Sylwia Raczynska – Finance
We also have several apprenticeships and volunteers, currently Cycle-R engage 25 people every week supporting the community.
ADDITIONAL BOARD SKILLS REQUIRED
Whilst the current Trustees have vast business knowledge, there are always blank spots, in this case areas that need some form of overview include:
- Financial planning
- Large Scale fund raising – Richard has been fundraising for the past three years and has been successful in this, however, he has hit the limits of his knowledge and experience when approaching the larger funding organisations
- Policies and procedures and HR policies particularly in reference to the mix of staff in Cycle-R. There is a need to create a comprehensive ‘employees’ manual, applicable to all staff, whether volunteer, paid, trainee or apprentice
- A recognition of the difficulties faced in working in the fourth sector
- Especially in the areas of apprenticeships and delivery, where there may be barriers into training and how to overcome these.
- Cycle-R are successful in the delivery of the charitable objectives, but this still seems to be very much ‘under the radar’. There are large sections of the community who still don’t know Cycle-R, who we are and what we do.
- Social media
- Cycle-R are in a position where we need to define and strategise the direction for future marketing, advertising and other approaches needed to promote Cycle-R, it’s services and the benefits it offers to the community.
There are areas that may have been missed and we would welcome input from any interested parties