Technical Adviser, Trachoma Elimination Programme x 2 (18 month fixed term contract)
Sightsavers is partnering with the Federal Ministry of Health to ensure wards the elimination of trachoma in Nigeria. The technical advisers are being engaged to support the oversight of the quality assurance of trichiasis surgeries support to the trichiasis surgeons and their supervisors across the country. They will be members of the Trachoma Technical Action Committee and report to the technical lead of the project in Nigeria and would be on part-time.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
Strategic Programme Planning and Development
- Participate in strategic planning processes to successfully drive the direction and delivery of trichiasis surgeries and ensure objectives are met in line with national trachoma elimination programme in Nigeria supporting the National Trachoma Manager.
- In collaboration with the Trachoma Technical Advisory Committee develop guidelines and country level action and implementation plans for clearing of trichiasis backlog in Nigeria.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the programme to ensure that TT backlog trends are effectively tracked and the data collected is used to develop dossier for the elimination of trachoma in Nigeria with special attention to trichiasis.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Quality Assurance
- Support the national elimination programme in developing a system for monitoring and evaluating programme performance.
- Provide effective monitoring of and guidance to TT surgeons and their supervisors in the implementation of the trachoma elimination programme in Nigeria.
- Support the state supervisors in carrying out routine supervision
- Review and analyse reports of supervisory visits and provide technical advice to the state supervisors
- Monitor all ongoing TT surgery programmes for adherence to preferred practices
- Draw up schedule for surgical audits in all TT surgical programmes for quality assurance
- Conduct TT audits according to guidelines and report to Technical Lead – Nigeria Trachoma Elimination Programme
- Analyse report of audits and schedule frequency of further audits or supervisory visits
- Ensure appropriate actions are taken based on audit findings and, where appropriate, surgeon refresher training is properly conducted
- Consultant Ophthalmologist with at least five years’ experience of trichiasis surgery
- Having a MSc in community eye health would be an added advantage
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience of working and/or collaborating with INGOs on eye health
- Technical knowledge on programme support for trachoma control in Nigeria.
- Understanding of the health system in Nigeria.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation of eye health programmes
Skills (Special Training or Competence):
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to build strong working relationships to enable effective management of partnerships and work collaboratively as part of a global team.
- Proven ability to think strategically and translate concepts into effective action plans.
- Excellent networking and advocacy skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to deliver group training sessions.
- People management skills with a strong diplomatic understanding of culturally and ethnically sensitive issues.
- Able to travel regularly on a national and international basis.
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity for disabled people