Executive Director -- New Charity Raising Funds for Global LGBTQI Causes
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, GIVEOUT
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF AN EXCITING NEW CHARITY IN START UP PHASE RAISING FUNDS FOR GLOBAL LGBTQI CAUSES
Salary: £40-50,000/yr dependent on profile and experience
Leave: 25 days paid leave per leave year; not including UK public holidays
Location: London with moderate travel anticipated in UK and mainland Europe
Contract period: One year (potential to renew subject to available funding)
Hours: Full-time role, with potential to consider alternative proposed models
GiveOut aims to be a fundraising platform for the global LGBTQI movement. Our purpose is to support the freedom to be and to do for LGBTQI people. We are in a start-up phase and are UK-based with a vision to grow internationally.
We aim to engage new donors to give to the global LGBTQI movement, having positive impact and sustainably raising >£1m/year within 5 years.
Having conducted research with potential donors and those active in the global movement we believe there is potential for a differentiated offering that can bring new donors into the movement. We are now at business plan stage and registering an entity with the Charity Commission.
From securing seed funding to designing and implementing our go-to-market approach, building a lean organisation, engaging movement stakeholders and our first donors, there is lots to be done in the coming phase of our development!
We are looking for a founding Executive Director who will lead us with passion, energy and good judgement through this start-up phase and beyond. The role will report to the Trustees and will provide strategic direction and have overall operational responsibility for GiveOut’s fundraising, operations, and grant-making.
Our Executive Director will be responsible for:
- Building this new organisation from the ground up and being its public face
- Finding and engaging donors to grow revenues to support our beneficiaries
- Defining our grant-making approach and engaging with movement stakeholders
- Managing a small team and working closely with our volunteer board of Trustees
- Defining our marketing approach and optimising within a small budget
- Pitching for scale-up funding from foundations and high net worth individuals
- Setting up sustainable and scalable core operational processes
- Supporting the Trustees to set strategy and report on its delivery
Skills and attributes we are looking for
We are seeking an unusual profile of skills and attributes and we’re prepared to take a risk to work with someone that we believe can best help us bring GiveOut into the world. In the below, E means essential, D means desirable:
- Commitment to supporting the freedom to be and to do for LGBTQI people (E)
- Proven successful track record of fundraising (E)
- Operational experience including the management of staff, budget planning and financial management (E)
- The ability to set and achieve strategic objectives and to problem solve (E)
- The ability to communicate persuasively and passionately with excellent interpersonal skills to represent GiveOut externally to diverse audiences (E)
- Independent, self-motivated, entrepreneurial, action-oriented and adaptable (E)
- Fluency in English (E); additional European languages an advantage (D)
- Experience of working as part of a start-up, or in the world of business (D)
- Experience in the charity sector and/or the LGBTQI movement (D)
- Experience in digital marketing, social media and running events (D)
- Willingness to align working hours to accommodate donors and our Trustees (D)
How to apply
Email Elliot Vaughn, email@example.com, chair of trustees by Mon 28 August 2017. Applications should be less than 500 words, plus CV of two A4 sides or less and references. Interviews are planned to be held in central London 29 Aug-8 Sep.
While we hope to respond to all applicants we can only commit to contact short-listed applicants and feedback can only be offered to interviewed applicants.
We are seeking to build a diverse team, and as an equal opportunities employer we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, or age.
GiveOut, 3rd Floor, Thomas Ford House, 23-24 Smithfield Street, London EC1A 9LF