Senior Programme Officer (Maternity cover)
Senior Programme Officer, Learning Team (Maternity Cover)
Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage is seeking a Senior Programme Officer who can facilitate learning about different approaches to end child marriage, and develop initiatives to support organisations to ensure their programmes to end child marriage are strong and effective.
This role sits within the Learning team. The Learning team builds an understanding of how child marriage happens, and what needs to be done to address it, by sharing the latest research and evidence about what works, identifying and building consensus about solutions needed, and using this to support the work of Girls Not Brides members and partners.
Girls Not Brides is a global partnership of more than 700 civil society organisations from over 90 countries committed to ending child marriage and enabling girls to fulfil their potential. Members are supported by a global secretariat with staff based in the UK and individual team members based in Dakar, Delhi and Nairobi.
Stronger together, Girls Not Brides members bring child marriage to global attention, build an understanding of what it will take to end child marriage, and call for the laws, policies and programmes that will make a difference in the life of millions of girls.
Earlier this year, Girls Not Brides launched an ambitious four-year strategy (available online). The Partnership has grown rapidly in recent years and is looking for candidates enthusiastic about amplifying recent successes.
Based in the Girls Not Brides office in London, the successful candidate will be a key member of the Learning team and their responsibilities will be to:
- Lead learning initiatives around community level change
- Support Girls Not Brides members to document lessons learned from their work
- Identify and help to fill knowledge gaps on promising programmes
- Lead the design and delivery of learning webinars and explore other viable online knowledge-sharing platforms suitable for Girls Not Brides members to support them to apply new learning to their work
- Lead the design of discussions and sessions at Girls Not Brides global meeting in June 2018
- Act as a key member of the Girls Not Brides capacity building task team, including contributing to strengthening the impact of the secretariat’s capacity development work for members and ensuring that there are strong linkages between the secretariat’s learning and capacity development agendas
- Lead on capacity building initiatives to support members in programme design, documentation and evaluation – including directly designing and delivering capacity building activities, as appropriate
- Identify and develop tools and resources to support the secretariat and members to include a strong gender lens in their work
- Contribute to the broader work of the Learning team, and the whole secretariat.
We are looking for candidates with a proven track record of designing learning initiatives and capacity building opportunities for community based organsiations. Candidates must have a background in international development, human rights or another related field. We need someone with direct experience of programme development, capacity building and monitoring and evaluation. A strong understanding of dynamics on gender and/or development issues, and an understanding of child marriage, is desirable.
We are specifically looking for candidates who can:
- Design, implement and assess the impact of learning and capacity building initiatives
- Help the Girls Not Brides secretariat to ensure a strong gender lens in its support to member organisations
- Develop user-friendly, interactive learning resources translating complex concepts into accessible language
- Take strategic leadership and ownership of projects which will add value to Girls Not Brides members and the secretariat’s work
- Scope options and present recommendations in new areas of work
- Listen, distill issues and communicate well with diverse actors from different cultural contexts
- Operate independently to a high level of impact and quality, while also remaining agile, flexible and collaborative within and across the secretariat team
- Use a wide range of modern office software suites and project management tools, and is able and willing to learn new ones.
At Girls Not Brides we are committed to the wellbeing, empowerment and rights of children, and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will be expected to adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
Practicalities This temporary maternity cover placement is a fixed-term position for 1 year expected to start late August / early September 2017.
Salary range: £35,000-£42,000, depending upon experience, plus a generous benefits package
How to apply
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to recruitment@GirlsNotBrides.org by 23:00 GMT on Thursday, 10 August 2017 clearly stating“Senior Programme Officer” and your name in the subject line. We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.