International Project Manager and Deputy Chief Executive
The International Project Manager and Deputy Chief Executive will manage the delivery of key strategic projects for this specialised professional engineering Institute which represents over 2000 individuals in the field of industrial and commercial refrigeration and air conditioning. They will represent the organisation on project teams and at industry meetings in the UK and overseas. This is a dynamic job for a creative senior manager who will be responsible for ensuring that our funded education and research projects deliver successful outcomes to time scale and budget, whilst contributing to the organisation's strategic objectives. The organisation has recently taken on the project management and communications responsibilities for two funded European projects in the fields of blended e-learning training and renewable energy storage, which have led to the creation of this new post. The post will be offered on a three-year fixed term contract.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Planning the implementation of actions and delivery of expected results and milestones for major projects
- Key point of contact for volunteers, committees, project contracting authorities and project team members
- Reporting to the Chief Executive and working as part of a small office team of five
- Project management of international teams including representatives of educational and trade associations in Europe, including collaborative decision making and allocation of work and dispute resolution, funding and financial authority within externally funded budgets.
- Keeping Chief Executive and staff team informed of developments with projects.
- External liaison with trade press, external trade bodies, funding agency and contractors.
- Manage the organisation’s resources as allocated to project plans efficiently and reporting on their use including where necessary procurement/managing of contractors and contribution of staff overheads and time.
- Record and manage related financial expenditure and income within agreed budgets and where necessary other project team members and prepare financial reports, claims and budget updates.
Communications & Marketing
- Leading on networking and communication for designated projects including updating of websites, use of social media platforms, drafting of press releases, newsletters, and information articles
- Preparation of promotional materials, stakeholder engagement activity, managing review and publication of technical materials
- Presenting the projects at key industry meetings and conferences
- Clear and concise record keeping and reporting of communications activity and outcomes
- Establishing project management and financial administration systems. Maintaining documentation and procedures. Develop, maintain and monitor plans, progress against deliverables, schedule and budget.
- Organise project meetings, prepare agendas, minutes from key meetings and follow up on activities with those responsible.
- Obtain regular progress reports from collaborative partners and volunteer chairmen. Prepare activity reports, including quarterly summaries, milestones, interim and final reports.
- Prepare regular report and claim documentation related to finances to reimbursement participants in collaboration with the Finance team. Prepare final project financial reporting claims to contracting authorities.
Relevant experience, skills and knowledge
- Experience of project management leadership and direction
- Track record of managing and delivering of large scale international or multi-functional projects with teams of experts
- Proven ability to undertake critical analysis, problem solving and decision making
- Expert use of IT for financial management and reporting
- Excellent record keeping and administration skills
- Communications and dissemination expertise, ability to draw clear meeting notes and effective public communications, and persuade and influence at all levels
- Highly motivated, able to work without day to day supervision and work to deadlines under pressure
- Able to work as part of a team and flexible approach to duties and responsibilities. Willingness to share workload and adapt and innovate practices.
- Education to graduate level or equivalent.
- Broad administrative and management experience in a project management role preferable in a technical, international or association environment, of at least five years.
- Experience of working in an interdisciplinary environment
- Ability to maximise finance-generating opportunities in the best interests of the IOR development.
- A flexible approach to work and the achievement project objectives.
Background to the Institute of Refrigeration
The Institute of Refrigeration (IOR) has been established as the leading institute for the refrigeration air conditioning and heat pump profession since 1899, with charity status as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation. It operates as a learned society, professional body and source of reliable technical information for its members and the general public. It has a key role in promoting professional and education standards, careers and profile raising for the sector. In this way it leads in the advancement of cooling technologies in the UK and is respected internationally.
The IOR’s charitable objectives include promoting the communication between members and to encourage invention, innovation and research in all matters relating to the science and practice of refrigeration. It is governed by a Board of Trustees who are volunteers.
The Institute employs a team of four administrative staff led by the Chief Executive. Has a network of volunteer members who contribute technical expertise through committees and working groups, and provides representation to standards committees, government and other industry bodies in the UK and internationally. It has a turnover of approximately £500,000 and serves a membership of 2000 with an additional 1000 service engineer subscribers and a large network of non-members and companies.
The strategic objectives of the IOR are: to grow its representation in the sector, by providing highest quality technical publications and events, leadership on education and standards activities, and expanding its activities to increase membership particularly in the air conditioning, heat pumping and international sectors. It is working to raise the profile of sector career opportunities and the professional recognition of its members.
To apply please submit your CV and a covering letter summarising your experience in international project management.