Chief Operating Officer
The Access to Justice Foundation
Chief Operating Officer: Maternity cover (10 month contract)
The Access to Justice Foundation operates throughout the United Kingdom raising funds for organisations that support those who need legal help but cannot afford it.
Our CEO is going on maternity leave and we are looking to recruit an experienced and professional COO to provide the overall strategic and operational leadership and management for all aspects of administration and operations support to the Foundation.
Salary: £30,000 - £35,000 pro rata depending on experience, plus pension contribution
Contract: Part time (2.5 days per week), 10 month contract (maternity cover)
Responsible to: Chief Executive of the Access to Justice Foundation and the HR Committee
Responsible for: 6 members of staff
Governance and Operations
- Provide management to the Foundation.
- Ensure compliance with any legal and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee administration of the Foundation’s finances, have responsibility for accounting and financial procedures, prepare management accounts, and facilitate preparation of annual accounts by our auditors.
- Company Secretary responsibilities, including reporting to Charity Commission and Companies House.
- Work with and keep updated the Trustees. Organise Board meetings.
Mange staff and volunteers and lead on human resource matters
- Lead on human resource matters, including staff and volunteer policies.
Administer incoming funds for the Foundation
- Oversee administration of fundraising schemes in particular (i) pro bono costs under s. 194 Legal Services Act 2007 including enforcement action and advice to lawyers; (ii) unclaimed client funds “It’s Not Just Peanuts” campaign including assistance to law firms regarding SRA solicitor accounts rules; and (iii) any cases brought under the collective actions regime introduced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Support and develop the fundraising activities of the Legal Support Trusts
- Support the Fundraising and Development Manager to support the fundraising activities of the Legal Support Trusts, in particular outside London, and to build their longer-term capacity.
Oversee effective and strategic grant making by the Foundation
- Oversee the administration of grant making and grants made by the Foundation to support pro bono and advice projects.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- An understanding of and commitment to the Foundation’s charitable objectives
- Consolidated experience of managing an organisation’s operations
- Experience of human resource management
- Strong financial management skills
- Strong administration skills
- Experience or understanding of charity governance
- An ability to work effectively with little line management support
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience of working in a charitable organisation
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Quickbooks
- Familiarity with the law and/or the legal profession
Note – The role description above does not form part of the Contract of Employment.
Please submit a cover letter, your CV and your answers to the four questions below to Ruth Daniel by midnight on Wednesday, 19th April 2017.
Email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: midnight, Wednesday 19th April 2017
Interviews: week of 24th April 2017
- What is it about working for the Access to Justice Foundation in particular that appeals to you?
- What do you see as the biggest operational challenges faced by charities?
- What do you think you will be able to bring to this role which other applicants may not?
- Is there anything else that you think we should know when considering your application for this role?
The Foundation promotes equal opportunities in its own functions and that of beneficiaries.
Location and Access
The role is based in the National Pro Bono Centre, 48 Chancery Lane London WC2A 1JF. Travel may be required across England and Wales. We share office space with a number of other small charities. We will ask about access requirements if you are invited to interview.
More jobs like this
- Part Time Human Rights Senior Management jobs in London (Greater)
- Part Time Human Rights Management jobs in London (Greater)
- Part Time Human Rights Administration jobs in London (Greater)
- Part Time Human Rights Operations & Service Delivery jobs in London (Greater)
- Part Time Human Rights Finance & Legal jobs in London (Greater)