Job Title: Operations Manager
Reporting To: Managing Director
Closing Date: 5pm 23rd March 2017
Location: Westminster, London
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
Established in 2004, the Centre for Social Justice is an independent think tank that studies the root causes of Britain’s acute social problems, and aims to address them through recommending to government practical, workable policy interventions. The CSJ’s vision is to give people in the UK who are experiencing the worst multiple disadvantage and issues of injustice, every possible opportunity to reach their full potential.
The majority of the CSJ’s policy work is organised around the five pathways to poverty, first identified in our ground-breaking 2007 report, Breakthrough Britain. These are: family breakdown; educational failure; economic dependency and worklessness; addiction to drugs and alcohol; and severe personal debt.
The Centre for Social Justice is seeking an experienced Operations Manager to work in our busy Westminster office. The successful candidate will implement and develop systems to improve the running, effectiveness and impact of the organisation. They will also oversee the day-to-day operations of the CSJ office.
- A track record of successfully managing the operations of organisations
- High level communications skills
- A strong team player with initiative and a positive ‘can do’ attitude
- A commitment to excellence and high standards of professionalism
- The ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously, to short deadlines, and under time pressure
- Well-organised, discreet, and with a high degree of personal integrity
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to:
Organisational Development and Management
- Work with the Managing Director and CEO to develop a strong performance culture and progression opportunities for CSJ staff including by reviewing contracts, salary structures and appraisal systems
- Assist the Managing Director with the running and development of the organisation by helping to construct the vision and strategy for a long-term development plan
- Implement the long-term plan through reviewing and adapting the organisation internally such as through the structure, staff positions and internal culture
- Work to build and maintain a strong team that will work towards the overall CSJ goal and enable high impact and performance across all areas
- Develop and implement strong policies and procedures that protect the staff and organisation. Ready the organisation for scrutiny and create a strong working environment that encourages and enables organisational effectiveness
- Support the development of staff welfare initiatives
- Purchasing office goods such as refreshments, furniture, stationary and paper
- Be the main point of contact for the organisation, performing front-of-house duties including answering the phone, taking messages, and being responsible for office tidiness and presentation
- Pension management including the introduction of auto-enrolment in 2016
- Be the main point of contact for external accountants, to benchmark and manage payroll
- Facilitate the recruitment process including putting together job descriptions, job adverts and contracts
- Oversee the daily operations of the CSJ office which include but are not limited to:
o Health and safety management including fire risk and insurance
o Management and assessment of IT and business infrastructure from external providers
o Ensure sufficient numbers of staff are training in operational activities
- Manage and oversee the relocation of the CSJ office
- Strengthen internal systems to ensure the build-up of key contacts and effective relationship management
- Manage the CSJ’s risk register, identifying and correcting risk where possible. Report the risk register to the Board of Directors semi-annually
- Support the Finance Director with the development of a robust financial strategy and support in its implementation
Any other duties commensurate with the level of responsibility of this post.
To apply, please send your C.V. and a short covering letter outlining how you meet the requirements of the role described above to email@example.com using the 'Apply' section below.