Community & Events Fundraising Executive
- Part Time
Community & Events Fundraising Executive
This is a new, part-time role to help raise funds and build community awareness and support for the work of Babies in Buscot Support (BIBS). One hundred per cent of BIBS income comes from the local community – be that through the general public or individuals and families with a close personal connection to Buscot Ward – the local neonatal unit at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading – or through local schools, community groups and businesses.
In addition to being the sole income stream for BIBS, this fundraising and these events are a vital means of promoting the work of our charity and Buscot Ward and an opportunity to recruit additional volunteers and community fundraisers.
Overall objective: To raise funds and generate awareness of the work of BIBS through the recruitment, development and support of local events and fundraising activities.
Responsible to and supported by: BIBS Chief Executive
Location: Home-based with regular local travel to meet with fundraisers / local businesses & participate in events. Therefore a full driving licence and access to own vehicle will be required.
Hours: 15 hours per week – flexibility in hours worked will be required with some evening and weekend work required to suit planned events. If agreed in advance, some overtime will be paid at peak times where necessary.
Contract type: 1 year fixed term contract initially, with possibility of permanent position following successful completion. The role is subject to a 3 month probationary period.
Play a key role in ensuring effective and efficient fundraising and profile building for BIBS, including:
- With the support of the CEO, jointly lead on the planning and delivery of all aspects of the Reading Half Marathon (BIBS largest income generating event of the year).From runner recruitment and engagement, liaising with event organisers Sweatshop, recruitment of volunteer marshals and cheering squads and planning of official charity tent presence
- Support local businesses and individuals in the planning and delivery of their own self-organised fundraising events to raise funds and awareness for BIBS
- Research & actively seek out opportunities for / deliver BIBS own community based fundraising and awareness raising for BIBS e.g. contacting local schools & businesses to explore opportunities, having a stall at planned events / becoming an official charity of planned events / partnering with local community groups such as Scouts / Rotary / WI etc
- Accessing (and delivering as required) stock and merchandise for use in events
Lead on volunteer engagement to support BIBS community fundraising, including:
- Recruit and co-ordinate volunteers and participants as required for events
- Lead on volunteer engagement – from recruitment through to scheduling, training, updates thanking and feedback / follow-up & long-term volunteer retention
- Maintain a clear schedule of planned events & maintain a general awareness of what events are going on in the community – either to avoid clashing with or to contact the organiser to see if BIBS can attend, e.g. local fetes, performances, baby & children’s groups, coffee mornings, street and store collections.
Lead on leveraging communication opportunities to maximise impact for BIBS, including:
- Accessing and developing PR and media coverage opportunities in support of fundraising & events
- Managing social media communications in support of fundraising and events – from initial sourcing of material and consent, to writing & publishing, and through to ongoing communications with public following publication.
- To be an ambassador for our charity, representing BIBS in a positive manner and delivering our key messages at all times
- Maintain and share with CEO full and accurate records of all work carried out (suggest this bit is shorter for purposes of role profile)
- Ensure that the volunteers’ personal data is managed in compliance with the Data Protection Act of 1998
- Ensure all relevant and necessary paperwork is applied for, completed and submitted on time and records kept (e.g. relevant local authority permits, risk assessments, etc)
- Ensure that all monies collected are counted, banked and the necessary paperwork
- Ensuring that information and photographs are taken from fundraising and events – with permission gained for sharing on social media, website and other publications as required
- Ensure not to commit the Charity to any unauthorised expenditure
- As a small charity employee, to support the CEO in any other areas of work on behalf of BIBS as required.
Skills and abilities:
- Highly organised individual, excellent at maintaining written records, thinking through events in advance and planning ahead with great attention to detail, ensuring no loose ends are left in any aspect of your work
- Confident and excellent communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills suited to a wide range of audiences. An excellent ambassador for BIBS able to deliver key messages in writing and in person.
- Event planning & co-ordination skills / experience
- Experience / ability to use social media channels in support of the charity’s work
- Participant & volunteer management skills – recruitment, motivation, briefing / training, retention
- Pro-active approach – actively seeking new opportunities for fundraising
- Committed to continuous improvement and high standards of work
- Flexible & adaptable – willing to ‘muck in’ be hands-onand deliver work in support of the charities objectives, ability to work hours flexibly as required in order to
- Integrity, reliability, honesty, compassionate approach and ensuring discretion
- Able to work remotely from home, and ensure work is visible and well communicated to all stakeholders
We would expect the postholder to have a genuine passion for, and awareness of, BIBS' work and the work of Buscot Ward / the local neonatal unit at the Royal Berkshire Hospital.
To apply, please submit a CV and a covering letter demonstrating your suitability for the role.
Apply for Community & Events Fundraising Executive
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly