Senior Member Engagement Officer
Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage is seeking an experienced Senior Member Engagement Officer to ensure members are empowered, engaged and actively contributing to the work of the global partnership. The new Senior Member Engagement Officer will be joining the organisation at an important time as we plan the implementation of the partnership’s strategy for 2017-2020.
Girls Not Brides brings together civil society organisations from around the world. The Partnership now counts over 600 members in more than 80 countries, based throughout Africa, South Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas. Members are united by a commitment to end child marriage and enable girls to fulfil their potential.
Girls Not Brides works to bring child marriage to global attention, build an understanding of what it will take to end child marriage, and call for the laws, policies and programmes that will make a difference in the life of girls. Girls Not Brides was initiated by The Elders, a group of eminent global leaders brought together by Nelson Mandela to promote peace and human rights worldwide.
Based in the Girls Not Brides office in London, the Senior Member Engagement Officer reports to the Head of Partnership Development. Core objectives for the role are to develop and deliver member engagement strategies and harness the expertise, talents and resources of Girls Not Brides members to further Girls Not Brides’ objectives and help drive the global movement to bring an end to child marriage around the world.
The Senior Member Engagement Officer will be expected to lead the development of a strategic, high-quality approach to member engagement, including youth engagement. The Senior Member Engagement Officer will also work on the coordination, planning, implementation and delivery of member capacity building opportunities; on facilitating members’ access to funding opportunities; and on managing the secretariat’s knowledge base relating to the Girls Not Brides membership, among others.
Accountability: To the Head of Partnership Development
Main duties and responsibilities
- Leads the ongoing engagement with Girls Not Brides members, identifying opportunities for participation and collaboration to ensure a strong, dynamic and committed partnership
- Ensures the Girls Not Brides secretariat responds effectively and in a timely manner to members.
- Plays a key role in identifying, generating and promoting opportunities for members’ engagement at the national, regional and international level.
- Ensures that Girls Not Brides members – in particular grassroots and community based organisations - can collaborate and conduct joint action e.g. collective advocacy initiatives, international day celebrations etc.
- Facilitates connection and communication between members.
- Conducts regular member ‘health-checks’ to evaluate the quality of their interactions with the Girls Not Brides secretariat.
- Identifies gaps and needs in the membership to develop and maintain outreach priorities to ensure an effective geographical and thematic coverage.
- Represents Girls Not Brides at external events; identifies and cultivates productive relationships with relevant external stakeholders.
- Manages the development and maintenance of internal partnership policies and engagement strategies
- Develops and implements a comprehensive member engagement plan to strategically guide Girls Not Brides’ work with its members; periodically researches other global networks/partnerships’ to keep abreast of effective approaches to increase participation, engagement and collaboration.
- Works with the Girls Not Brides regional teams to develop and implement outreach plans for specific regions and sub-regions.
- Supports the Head of Partnership Development in championing member engagement across the organisation.
- Advises other teams on how to integrate member engagement into their work.
- Coordinates and contributes to planning, implementation and delivery of member capacity building opportunities
- Working closely with the Head of Partnership Development as well as other teams, organises/supports member-directed capacity building such as online webinars, learning exchanges, trainings, toolkits, etc.
- Contributes to the organisation’s understanding of what our members’ capacity needs are, what the most appropriate learning methods for different audiences are, and how we can best reach our members, particularly grassroots and community based organisations.
- Ensures tools developed by different teams are member friendly and are effectively disseminated to the Girls Not Brides membership. Develops guidance for use of external tools by members.
- With the Communications Team, ensures the on-going maintenance and effectiveness of an online resource hub for Girls Not Brides members.
- Researches external capacity-building tools and resources and builds relations with members and external parties – including international non-government organisations and consultants - for the development and delivery of trainings for members.
- Coordinates the mainstreaming of youth engagement across the organisation and plays a critical role in Girls Not Brides’ work with young activists
- Supports the Head of Partnership Development in coordinating the mainstreaming of youth engagement across the organisation.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of Girls Not Brides’ youth engagement plan e.g. by ensuring youth are actively engaged in relevant opportunities open to the wider partnership.
- Manages and grows Girls Not Brides’ online network of youth advocates.
- Facilitates access to funding opportunities for the broad membership and for grassroots and community based organisations in particular
- Works with the Donor Engagement Officer to identify and explore funding opportunities to support members’ efforts to address child marriage.
- Develop relationships with donors and funding mechanisms to ensure members are well positioned to apply for funding.
- Coordinates the development of resources – guidelines, webinars, etc. - to build the capacity of members to access funding.
- Manages secretariat’s knowledge base relating to the Girls Not Brides membership
- Maintains systems for collating, organizing and making relevant member-related information available to team members and external parties.
- Develops processes for filling in any information gaps about the work/profile of Girls Not Brides members.
- Works with the Communications Team to produce and update materials – e.g. brochures – relating to the membership.
- Keeps track and provides information related to member engagement indicators for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Graduate qualification in relevant area (such as development studies, international relations, human rights or gender) or proven experience of working directly with civil society organisations in a related field.
- Experience of working with a wide range of civil society organisations – from international NGOs to small grassroots organisations; knowledge of the challenges and opportunities facing civil society organisations working to promote a child rights/gender equality agenda.
- Significant experience of capacity building for CSOs – either through direct delivery of training or development of training materials or through coordination of capacity building support.
- Strategic thinker, capable of connecting member engagement issues with other areas of work including communications, advocacy and learning.
- Ability to work cross functionally with diverse teams on joint pieces of work.
- Excellent communication, networking and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to persuade and inspire others.
- Excellent written and oral English and highly proficient French.
- Strong project management skills.
- Proficiency in recent versions of Microsoft Office Suite, project management tools and online databases (e.g. Salesforce).
- Highly organised, reliable, proactive and precise.
- Willingness to travel.
- Understanding of child marriage and of the key players in the women’s and children’s/youth rights field.
- Experience of working for a civil society network/membership organisation or being part of alliances/coalitions highly desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of effective civil society capacity building best practices.
- Knowledge and experience of effective youth engagement best practices.
- Experience of developing and rolling out a member engagement strategy/plan.
- Knowledge of the funding challenges of civil society organisations, particularly grassroots and community based organisations.
- Experience of knowledge management; systems for capturing, organising, synthetizing and presenting information.
- Knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic desirable.
At Girls Not Brides we are committed to the well-being, empowerment and rights of children and to safeguarding children from harm in all of our activities. Girls Not Brides aims to promote an environment of trust and understanding where the welfare of children is paramount. You will be expected to adhere to the Girls Not Brides Child Safeguarding Policy and its Code of Conduct and report any concerns relating to the safeguarding of children in accordance with agreed procedures.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to the Girls Not Brides' recruitment email address by 23:00 GMT on 10 November 2016 clearly stating “Senior Member Engagement Officer” and your name in the subject line. We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.