Director of Programmes & Strategic Partnerships (grantmaking)
The London Community Foundation supports the most disadvantaged groups and communities across the Capital. We bring together local philanthropists with dynamic local organisations and community groups who need funding and other resources.
We are dedicated to improving the lives of Londoners affected by child poverty, homelessness, domestic violence, unemployment, isolation, and gang crime amongst a range of issues we are tackling. With the generosity and involvement of our donors, we have invested almost £50 million in more than 9,000 grants across the capital. Our supporters include the Evening Standard, Comic Relief, Deutsche Bank, Prudential, Santander, Land Securities, as well as individual philanthropists, statutory authorities and Trusts and Foundations.
We are one of 46 Community Foundations in the UK, and 1500 Community Foundations worldwide. The London Community Foundation was born out of the combination of 4 Community Foundations between 2011-13 in order to be truly pan-London. Since then we have built up our resources and experience and have become the largest grant making Community Foundation in the UK.
We are now at a critical point in the organisations development and are seeking to transformationally grow, both our philanthropic income and the impact we have on those most disadvantaged groups. In today’s increasingly challenging funding environment, the work we do to secure support for London’s community groups has never been more important. This post will offer you an excellent opportunity to build relationships with community groups and donors across London and to develop exciting new programmes and partnerships that encourage social action in the capital.
We are looking for a Director of Programmes & Strategic Partnerships with the passion and experience to be part of a leadership team committed to supporting social change in the capital, and to contribute to the overall leadership and vision of The London Community Foundation. You will work closely with the CEO and other members of the senior leadership team to formulate The London Community Foundation’s (LCF) strategy and oversee its delivery.
You will have lead responsibility for managing the Foundation’s grant programme strategies, as well as seeking and developing new programmes with our donors and partners, forging strategic partnerships, and overseeing the Foundation’s grantmaking and community development initiatives. You will play a crucial role in the growth and development of the Foundation, and will be able to develop new funds and donor relationships whilst increasing the Foundation’s profile in all sectors.
1. Programme strategy and delivery
- To develop the LCF wide strategic direction and approach to grantmaking.
- Oversee the Foundation’s grant programme strategies, design thematic programmes and special initiatives.
- Be responsible for the Foundation’s grantmaking policies and advise on procedures.
- Seek and develop opportunities for new funds, and design new grant-making programmes in line with organisational and donor objectives.
- Assume lead responsibility for LCF’s most significant programmes, leading on strategy, renewal and growth of funds.
- Continuously analyse risks, potential, changes in environment and voluntary sector politics; and use to inform organisational policy.
- Work with the Foundation’s Programmes & Grant Committee on Foundation policy, strategy and provide support on grantmaking delivery.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Marketing, Communications & Donor Care to design and deliver impact reporting for fund-holders and LCF’s supporters.
2. External Relationships and Strategic Partnerships
- Lead on the Foundations public sector and other strategic partnerships.
- Contribute to the development of the Foundation, identifying and seeking new funds, writing proposals and developing new programmes and partnerships.
- Create strong links and networks with other voluntary, community and public sector bodies.
- Lead on the relationship with our network body, UK Community Foundations, collaborating on the development and delivery of UKCF sub-contracted programmes.
- Represent the Foundation at external events and forums, building the Foundation’s profile.
- Work with and support LCF Trustees and other senior volunteers to explore opportunities for the benefit of LCF.
3. Leadership and management
- Direct line management of LCF’s Head of Programmes & Grant Operations, and two Community Development Co-ordinators for Big Local Brixton and Marks Gate, Dagenham.
- Work in partnership with other members of the Senior Management Team to embed a high performing, highly motivated, collaborative, creative and dynamic culture within LCF – and seek opportunities to celebrate success.
- Provide leadership and support to a talented team of Programme Managers and Officers, supporting them to shape programmes, and building on individual team member’s talents.
- Work with the Head of Programmes & Grant Operations to review annual programmes delivery timetables and resourcing, reporting fluctuations and changes to the CEO.
- Oversee programme expenditure to ensure compliance and accordance with budgets.
- Excellent track record in grant-making, programme design and development.
- Demonstrating knowledge and understanding of London’s voluntary and community sector, and of smaller organisations and community groups working for social change.
- Experience of negotiating and securing funding towards major projects and/or contracts or funding agreements.
- Experience of developing grantmaking policy.
- Ability to manage high volume grant programmes and operating to tight deadlines
- Demonstrating leadership within an organisation which is seeking to build transformational growth.
- Experience of leading and managing a team to develop and maintain a high performing culture.
- Strategic thinker with a creative and innovative approach. An exceptional ability to communicate, inspire and enthuse others.
- Ability to build relationships, and influence, a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Educated to degree level.
- Knowledge of philanthropy in the UK and an understanding of the processes involved in securing gifts and funding partnerships.
- Financial literacy with experience of managing budgets.
- Knowledge or experience of working with local authorities, NHS or public sector bodies.
- An understanding of and commitment to London’s most vulnerable populations.
- An excellent verbal and written communicator.
- Emotional intelligence and excellent listening skills.
- Flexibility and a practical, can-do attitude.
- Committed to equal opportunities.
- Highly motivated and commercially astute.
- Comfortable with complexity and ambiguity.
- Positive, resilient and supportive of others.
Please send your CV along with a covering letter outlining your relevant experience against the person specification above, to Russell Delew, CEO of The London Community Foundation: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for Applications: Monday 24th October 2016 at 5pm
Interviews: Friday 4th November 2016