Head of Finance and Administration
Job Title: Head of Finance and Administration
Department: Finance, Administration, Reporting and Analytics
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: 4 days per week/full time
Salary: Competitive salary for NGO sector
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The Head of Finance will be responsible for the financial control, reporting and financial analysis of The United World Colleges (International), ensuring that all financial systems and procedures are effectively implemented in order to meet auditing requirements and to provide the UWC International Board, Executive Director and other colleagues with relevant, accurate and clear financial information.
In addition to this, the Head of Finance will play a key role in the development and implementation of the global financial strategy for UWC International, including the collection and analysis of data to enable the improvement of financial sustainability for the movement and its currently 16 mission-based international schools around the globe. Financial administration, oversight and governance of the schools as such is not part of the role and is exercised at the level of each school as a separate legal entity.
The Head of Finance will report to the Executive Director and be a part of the UWC International management team.
Key responsibilities will include:
- To establish, implement and keep under review financial procedures, systems, controls and documentation.
- To oversee the preparation of financial management reports and the annual accounts.
- To ensure that all necessary documentation and schedules are prepared for the annual audit.
- To line manage the Financial Accountant
- To oversee the processing of payments, income, disbursements and international transfers and the the petty cash fund.
- To oversee the payroll process.
- To supervise and monitor all bank accounts, including their reconciliation.
- To monitor cashflow and recommend and implement action when necessary.
- To administer the company’s investments, in accordance with the decisions of the Finance Committee and Treasurer, and to liaise with the investment managers in order to report on the performance of the investments.
- To manage insurance and pensions policies.
- To develop, with the Executive Director and other staff, the annual budget for approval by the UWC International Board.
- To oversee the register of fixed assets.
- To oversee the company’s taxation obligations.
- To keep abreast of developments in charity accounting requirements and good practice and to make recommendations and implement changes based on this awareness.
- To work with the Fund Development team to ensure effective fund management and support for funding proposals and reporting.
- To manage the finances of the national committee fund and any other offices set up by UWC International globally.
- To act as Secretary to and service the needs of the International Board’s Finance and Audit Committee as required.
- To maintain communication with the Treasurer in order that the Treasurer can keep fully appraised of the financial affairs of the company.
- To keep abreast of the financial affairs of the rest of the UWC organisation by developing and maintaining a common financial reporting structure to ensure financial transparency across the UWC movement.
- To maintain contact with and support the group of College Finance Directors, develop and maintain financial analysis capability to identify and monitor trends and to provide movement-wide financial projection. Planning capabilities with the ultimate goal of financially securing a comprehensive scholarship system meeting all demonstrated need of students attending UWCs worldwide.
- To design and implement a global financial strategy.
- To report to and advise the Executive Director on all matters of finance and financial reporting and analysis.
- To oversee the use of space in the office and all matters concerning the leasing, upkeep and maintenance of the company’s premises.
- To ensure confidential information is treated securely
- To act as data controller, to oversee data protection issues and to ensure effective administration of a database
- To oversee and maintain a record of all contracts and commercial agreements entered into by the company.
- To participate in regular meetings in relation to the management of the International Office and, where appropriate, its responsibilities in connection with the UWC international movement.
- To attend periodic meetings of the International Board and UWC Council.
- To perform other such duties as assigned by the Executive Director from time to time without prejudice to salary.
Essential Skills and Aptitudes
- Very strong accounting skills and a relevant professional accounting qualification
- Experience of finance and accounting in a charity environment Knowledge of UK charity accounting and associated requirements
- A thorough knowledge of accounting systems and analysis
- Excellent financial reporting, financial analysis and financial planning skills
- Ability to prioritise workloads and meet monthly and annual deadlines
- Ability to combine attention to detail with broader perspectives
- Ability to contribute to the effective management of the UWC International Office
- Experience of Sage Line 50 accounting software
- Experience of Microsoft Office 365 software, particularly Word and Excel and of Google docs
- Excellent communication skills and diplomatic attitude
- Strong international and cross-cultural awareness
- Diplomacy and tact and the ability to maintain excellent relationships within the organisation and outside
- A flexible approach to problem-solving
- Excellent staff management skills
- Good understanding of and commitment to the UWC mission, an appreciation of the role of education in contributing to peace and international understanding
- Experience as a Company Secretary in a UK charity
- Experience of combining responsibilities relating to both finance and administration
- Experience of an international environment
- Experience of business planning
- Experience of donor fund management and reporting
- Knowledge of US/International charity environment
A DBS check (Disclosure barring statement) will be required.
Application Process and Deadline:
Please send your CV with a covering letter (of no more than three pages) that relates your experience to the requirements of the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: 2nd October 2016 at 9:00 am GMT. The interviews will be arranged with candidates for 10th to 12th October 2016.
Apply for Head of Finance and Administration
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly