Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
5 days left
- Contract Type
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Key relationships: CEO, Legal director, Finance and Office Manager, Legal and grants support officer, external lawyers, partners and beneficiaries
Hours: 37.5 hours, occasional evening and weekend work
The Media Legal Defence Initiative is a charity that helps journalists defend their rights. We support independent media, journalists and bloggers who are under legal threat by making sure that lawyers are available to defend them. We engage in strategic litigation to improve the regulatory environment for media freedom, make grants to organisations in various countries to run media defence programmes, and build the capacity of the lawyers and organisations we work with on issues of media law. MLDI was set up in 2008 and has established itself as a leader in the field.
The role leads the collection of monitoring, evaluation and learning data from grant work and from partners, ensuring learning and data is up to date. Using this and other relevant information this post provides vital data to support the CEO in preparing and making funding applications.
- Monitor & evaluate grant and programme effectiveness
- Lead the development and implementation of MLDI’s monitoring and evaluation framework and evaluation and learning strategies
- Develop appropriate performance indicators and benchmarks
- Gather and analyse data (including through surveys, web statistics, interviews, unsolicited feedback, case studies and reports) and ensure the resulting information can be understood and communicated for internal learning as well as external reporting
- Prepare monthly and quarterly internal performance and progress reports for both the management team and the board of trustees
- Provide advice to staff and partner organisations on monitoring and evaluation needs, such as the identification of priorities and indicators; the design, set up and use of monitoring and evaluation systems; and the design of evaluation and learning studies
- In collaboration with the CEO and Finance and Office Manager, coordinate the production and communication of impact reports and the annual review
- Research, collate and prepare data for CEO to support grant and fundraising applications
- Identify and maintain a databank of suitable case studies, examples and best practice, to support fundraising applications and grant reporting
- Research potential fundraising opportunities using established databases and lists of funders as may from time to time be required
- Manage, and report on monitoring, evaluation and learning activity budget and expenses to the CEO and the Finance and Office Manager
- Such other tasks as may from time to time be required
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with good communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience of analysing, collating and reviewing data
- Experience of grants software, experience of GIFTS highly desirable.
- Experience of online monitoring and information software and systems
- Research skills
- Ability to work both independently and with others
- Integrity, professional discretion and ability to handle confidential matters
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with at all levels, as well as with MLDI’s partners
- Understanding of human rights and the role of the media in development and democratic systems would be an advantage
- Good working knowledge (spoken and written) of French or Spanish would be a significant advantage; a good working knowledge (spoken and written) of Russian would be an advantage
- Eligible to work in the UK
A full job description and person specification can be found on MLDI’s website: www.mediadefence.org. To apply please send your CV and a covering letter detailing how you meet the candidate specification to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is 4 October 2016.
Apply for Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly