6 days left
- Contract Type
Position: Policy Manager
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Hours: Full time
Contract Type: Permanent
Location: Based in our London offices, with some travel
Annual leave: 23 days
Application Deadline: 1pm Monday 3rd October
About the Patients Association: The Patients Association is a leading campaigning charity that champions patient and public issues across the health and social care sector. We work with NHS England, the Department of Health, NHS Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, regulators, patients, carers and the public and many other stakeholders, as well as the media to ensure the patient voice is heard and is at the top of the political agenda.
Objective: To manage the charity’s small, but dedicated policy team, research, report and consultation work. To identify opportunities for the organisation to lead on innovative policy and campaigning work in the health and social care sector with the aim of influencing decision-makers in line with the charity’s vision and missions.
- Working with policy team to develop evidence-based policy positions and recommendations relevant to the Patients Association, using insight and evidence gained from our Helpline wherever possible, whilst retaining consistency with the charity’s vision and missions.
- Write reports and provide policy input as part of the Patients Association’s own campaigns and delivery of joint project work alongside our partners.
- Identify opportunities to create reports based on external statistics and FOI requests etc.
- Proactively identify and provide policy lines and campaigns that respond to the healthcare issues which are of most importance for patients.
- Manage the preparation of written reports, surveys and consultation responses.
- Exercise good political judgement and act as a source of expert advice on the political and health context, both within the charity (e.g. providing briefings to staff, President, Vice Presidents, Trustees and ambassadors on politically sensitive aspects of our work) and externally at conferences, roundtables, debates etc.
- Monitor upcoming events and policy implications for the health and social care sector and prepare qualitative and quantative research to advise decision-makers on the best response and direction, consistent with the charity’s vision and missions.
- Developing our campaigning and influencing activities to promote the needs and interests of patients and those people affected by failings in the health and social care sector.
- Work closely with corporate supporters and deliver bespoke joint research and campaign projects.
- Acting as an ambassador for the charity and representing patient views and policies of the charity at external meetings and conferences.
- Promote the interests of the Patients Association and those it represents to key external stakeholders, including decision-makers, opinion formers and policy makers across government and the NHS, and the wider social care sector.
- Represent the charity to external audiences (e.g. APPGs: representing patient views to NHS leaders and key healthcare professionals/ organisations; speak at conferences; participate in working groups and other external collaborations etc.)
- As a highly visible leader, you will need to clearly demonstrate a high level of tact, diplomacy and leadership as well as an ability to advise, challenge and advocate to enable effective working across organisational boundaries and influencing without direct authority
- Work with other staff to ensure that policy lines are accurately reflected in media releases and other publications.
- Any other tasks which may be required by the CEO
- Experience of working at a senior level in policy within the health and social care community.
- Knowledge of the current NHS structure and how changes to infrastructure may impact on the delivery of health and social care.
- Knowledge of NHS and social care reforms, patient and public involvement, engagement and shared decision making.
- Awareness of the range of organisations and cross-agency committees involved in the delivery of health and social care, along with their responsibilities and interactions.
- The impact of workforce reforms on the UK’s healthcare provision.
- A thorough understanding of parliamentary processes in Westminster.
- Experience of evidence-based policy development in a health care, social care or health-related context.
- Be a first-class communicator with the ability to manage and lead a team and work with colleagues across different teams within the organisation.
- Be comfortable operating with senior representatives from other organisations.
- Be able to demonstrate a keen eye-for-detail and the ability to decipher complex policy areas.
- Be able to identify new business opportunities and input into the pitch process.
- Be comfortable with complex data sets and extrapolating trends from these to inform policies and campaigns.
- Be able to write concise yet comprehensive and compelling reports as part of our work with corporate partners.
- Be able to design surveys and deliver roundtables and oversee report launches as part of our work with corporate partners.
- Able to work on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to deliver results on a limited budget.
- A number of years’ work experience in a health policy environment, with ability to use rigorous analysis and research to understand the key issues of debate within a wider agenda.
- Work independently and manage projects, including the ability to exercise sound judgment, organise work and set priorities, within a strategic context.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- End-to-End ownership and delivery management of specified projects and/ or programmes and projects to agreed parameters of time.
- Ensure projects are delivered in line with the agreed project management framework and practices.
- Adequate project governance structures are established, communicated and used.
- Project progress is reported to internal and external stakeholders as appropriate and as contractually required.
- Work to ensure a positive perception of policy, project and programme management within the charity and to outside clients.
- Educated to degree, or equivalent level.
- Goal orientated & strong delivery/ milestone focus.
- Strong planning and presentation skills.
- Ability, presence and determination to ensure the charity and other staff deliver on their commitments.
- Proven leadership credentials and someone who inspires others and is a key source of motivation through their energy and focus.
- Awareness of data protection responsibilities.
- Excellent presentation skills internally and externally.
If you wish to apply, please email your curriculum vitae and one page covering letter setting out your reasons for applying, and how you consider that you meet the person specification for this post.
Please note: We may appoint to this post before the deadline, if a suitable candidate is found.
Apply for Policy Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly